Thorne In His Side

The next morning, Y/N woke up in Severus’ arms as usual to the sound of Alfie meowing to go out. She sighed and pried herself from his grip, throwing some pants on, to go downstairs to let the cat out. The young woman started the kettle for tea while looking into the back yard. “Did you sleep good?” the man asked from behind her. Y/N jumped, grabbing her chest. “Merlin, you do that on purpose,” she said in an annoyed voice turning around to him.

 “Yes I did, did you?” she answered after a moment. “Yes, except I woke up alone,” he commented. “Someone has to let your cat out,” she replied, turning back to the tea. Y/N handed Severus’ mug to him and took hers to drink while fixing herself for the day. When she came back downstairs, Severus was sitting on the sofa reading the paper.

Suddenly, there was a soft knock on the front door. It was unusual since they didn’t normally have visitors here. Y/N went to answer the door, on the other side was a tall handsome young man with shaggy brown hair and dark eyes.

 “Hello, can I help you?” Y/N asked. “Hi I’m Thorne, Mr Painter sent me over to do the lawn,” the young man spoke. Y/N could feel Severus behind her now.

 “Oh right, sorry, I didn’t realize you would come today. I’m Y/N and this is my husband Severus,” the two greeted each other briefly. “You can go ahead and tend to the lawn. When you do the back garden, just make sure to close the gate so my cat doesn’t get out,” she stated. 

“Right, of course Miss. I will let you know when I’ve finished,” Thorne said, turning around to go start cutting the grass. Y/N closed the door and turned back around to Severus who obviously had questions. 

“I asked Mr Painter to hire someone,” she said, walking past him to the sofa. “You didn't mention that,” he said, sitting back down with his paper. “I suppose I forgot. I didn’t think he would come by this quickly. When he leaves, I’ll ask him to come by during the week when we aren’t here,” she suggested. Severus just made a “hmm” sound while reading his paper. 

“What does, hmm mean?” she asked, waiting for him to say something out of hand. “Nothing at all. Seems you have this all worked out,” he said in a condescending tone. “I can fire him and you can do the lawn if you wish. I figured our time was better spent together though,” she suggested. He scoffed at that idea.

 “Please don’t make this uncomfortable for me. I didn’t hand pick him. He is just here to do the lawn,” Y/N said, trying to avert the impending jealousy. Severus said nothing else about it for now.

 “Will you make us breakfast, Daddy?” she asked leaning over to place her head against his shoulder. “I suppose,” he said looking down at her knowing she was trying to manipulate him out of a bad mood. 

He kissed her head anyway and went to start breakfast. Y/N took her book to the table while Severus made breakfast. “Are you irritated that I didn't tell you first or something?” she asked curiously. “It’s irritating that I just found out as he showed up this morning. It also didn’t help that he thought you were beautiful,” he turned his head to say. “Shouldn’t that make you happy? You have a beautiful wife,” she questioned. 

“Yes, it’s not entirely lost on me the way you may believe,” he elaborated, still working on the food. “Do you want me to come help you with breakfast?” she continued trying to lighten the mood. “ Absolutely not,” he objected, turning to look at the young woman across the kitchen. 

Severus finally came over with the food, sitting it down in front of Y/N. “You are the best,” she said happily as the man sat down across from her. “After he leaves, we are going back upstairs,” Severus announced.