Diving In - Free! Rei

I couldn't take my eyes off the sparkling, clear water. I could feel myself pressing against the chain link fence, trying subconsciously to get closer to the siren's call of the pool that lay just on the other side of the barricade in front of me. I could almost feel the coolness on my skin even now, closing my eyes for a moment as I pictured myself diving beneath the rippling surface, tiny bubbles floating up to pop as they reached the air above me. I opened my eyes again as I started taking slow, careful steps along the fence towards the entrance. Maybe it would be ok if I just took a quick swim? Just for a few minutes... I'm sure nobody would notice, if I leave before anyone else comes here...

---------

I couldn't stop the flush of pink that spread across my cheeks when I peeked out of the water to be met by the faces of three guys and the splash of someone else diving on behind me. I couldn't believe I had been caught. I must have stayed much longer than I had planned to. I was so embarrassed.

"I'm s-sorry... I couldn't help myself. Whenever I see water-" I tried to explain my strong fascination with water, only to be interrupted.

"As much as I wish you had asked properly before jumping in the pool, I understand. Haru has the same tendency around water," stated the tall brunette male, a smile on his face.

"I'll just leave now," I began as I started pulling myself out of the pool.

"You're already here, why not swim with us?" Asked the excited looking blonde, his eyes sparkling in the sunlight.

"You mean, you're not going to kick me out?" I could feel my eyes growing wide in shock. "You'll really let me keep swimming?"

All three boys shrugged at me before diving into the pool, their forms perfect to my eyes. There was no containing the smile that grew upon my face. I happily joined them, swimming back and forth across the pool in slow lazy laps. I hadn't felt this happy since I was a little kid, back before dad lost his job and I had to quit swim school. He'd managed to get another job, but money had been tight enough for a time that we had to move in with his family for a time.

When we had finally moved back, the swim school had closed and I had never really made any close friends to try and contact. I had always just been the quiet girl that didn't do anything but swim laps in the pool by herself while everyone else talked to each other and made friends. Nobody cared about how fast I swam, how long I could hold my breath, or how long I could swim without taking a break. But that's ok, I didn't care if anyone noticed me or not, as long as I could keep swimming. As long as I could keep diving and swimming.

I pulled myself out of the water and climbed onto the dive stand, looking in front of me to make sure the area was clear before taking my stance and diving into the pool. The water quietly accepted me like a mothers warm embrace, barely a ripple left behind as I went under the surface and began a languid swim towards the far end. When I broke surface again, I was once again brought to a blushing state as I found four pairs of eyes staring at me. Make that five, as I finally noticed the maroon haired girl standing at the poolside with a clipboard in hand.

"Umm.... Is something wrong?" I asked, my voice wavering slightly as I looked from face to face.

"How can you dive like that, but swim so slowly?" I heard one of them ask.

"Who said I couldn't swim faster? But why go fast if I'm not in a race?" I squinted me eyes at the blue haired boy two lanes over from me.

"Then race me," he demanded.

I shrugged before climbing out of the pool again, returning to the platform for my lane. I looked over to see him stepping up onto the platform beside me. The other boys all climbed out of the pool and stood beside the girl, only the black haired boy looking disinterested in the race.

"What stroke do you swim?" I asked the boy beside me.

"Butterfly is my best stroke," he stated.

"Ok, I can do that one well enough. Once to the end and back?" I readied myself on the platform.

With a quick glance at me, he gave a nod and readied himself. The brunette started the countdown and at the count of three we both dove in, one splash and one silent entry.

I have to admit, butterfly was not my best stroke, but I was still good enough at it to end up not too far behind the blue haired boy. I was pretty happy with that, since he had a fair amount of height advantage on me. Pulling myself out of the water, I turned to the boy with a happy smile on my face.

"Great race! If you are willing, I would love to do this again some day! It was so much fun!" I couldn't keep the happiness out of my voice if I tried, my eyes closing as I started laughing from the joy I felt inside.

I didn't even notice the blush turning his cheeks pink.

Yes, I realize this probably sucks and is very out of character across the board, but I was bored and not at home. All I had was my tablet so I couldn't work on 'The Awakening' because that is all on my computer. So this is what you get this time. And likely will be my project any time I am pulled away from home.