Yandere!Makoto Sunakawa (My Love Story) - Growing Up

Everything was so strange here in Japan, compared to what I was used to when back in my home country. It was hard getting used to the language at first when some of the other kids would run up and start talking to me so quickly before realizing I couldn't understand them. They would stand there staring at me for a while before shrugging and running off again, leaving me standing there feeling more alone than ever.

It wasn't until a couple weeks had passed that I would meet the one of the people who would change my entire world, the first one who bothered to try communicating with me despite the language barrier. Although his size was intimidating, he seemed friendly enough, spending his time playing with me in the sand pit.

At almost random seeming moments he would point at something and say a word that I assumed was what it was called in Japanese, turning back to me and watching as I haltingly copied the word he'd said. If I made a mistake, he would slowly repeat the word until I got it right, giving me a big smile when I did so.

This continued every time we happened to run into each other, although sometimes he would have another boy with him who would simply watch us, almost like he was studying our 'game' of naming items. It wasn't until school began, something I was almost terrified of going to, that he showed his kindness to me.

When the teacher realized how poor my Japanese still was, it was Sunakawa that offered to assist me in class and with homework, even though he had no obligation to do so. Even though it likely meant his own studies would be slowed down.

--------

It was a real treat getting to watch them play out their parts during the play, Suna-san being the blue ogre and Gouda-san the red ogre. They had both played their parts well, in my opinion, even if I was just another kid clapping at them after they finished.

While the kids were crowded around Suna-san, I took the chance to give Gouda-san one of the two small boxes of chocolates my mom had helped me make last night. While he blushed and fumbled for words of thanks, Suna-san came over and gave a curious look at the box in his friend's hand before turning and seeing the other box resting within my own.

"Here Suna-san. I have one for you too! You both did really good today!" Holding out the remaining box, I smiled at the blonde boy in front of me, ignoring the muttered words from girls in the background.

Taking the box slowly from my hands, he carefully unwrapped it and looked inside, staring down at the slightly lumpy balls of milk chocolate. A few were partially dipped in white chocolate, while others were sprinkled with shavings of dark chocolate or chopped nuts. Seeing him tilt his head, I spoke up again.

"I wasn't sure what kind you each liked Suna-san, so I made a mixed batch and split them between each you and Gouda-san. If you want, you can swap some of them with each other for the ones you like more if you like different kinds? Oh, mom helped so you don't have to worry that I messed it up! But someday I will be able to make them on my own!" I stood there, hands on my hips as I looked at them with a determined expression.

If I hadn't been looking so closely at my friends, I would likely have missed the smallest hint of a smile come to Suna-san's lips before vanishing again.

"Just call me Suna. We're friends after all, right?" I didn't even try to hide the smile that stretched across my face at his words, nodding eagerly.

--------

Year after year, Suna helped me out with my studies and my understanding of the language. He spent part of his mornings going over what we had studied the previous day, making sure it had stuck in my head in case of any tests, and when we got home from school he would spend more time going over the stuff we had learned that day.