Yandere!Merman!Gray Fullbuster (FairyTail) - Stalking His Prey

"(Y/N)! Get away from the railings! What would you do if you fell overboard?!" I flinched as I heard my mother yell at me, worry coating her voice thickly as she hugged the door leading to the passengers' rooms.

I would never understand why someone so afraid of water would ever take the chance to get on a boat, but I guess her husband was just that persuasive, even with mom. After all, he'd persuaded me to come on this oversized hunk of metal and I had come to hate the man in the years since mom had married him. He would never replace my dad, no matter how much he thought he deserved my respect. That was something earned by people, not a right they were born with. I didn't care who thought otherwise.

Sighing, I pulled away from the railing I had been leaning on.

"I think I'll go get something to eat. I'll be back later, mom. Don't stay up late waiting, I don't think he's going to be back anytime soon," I muttered as I brushed past the worn looking woman who had given birth to me so many years ago, her eyes admitting what her words wouldn't.

We both knew that the man was a cheater. The difference between us was that only one of us had the courage to say it to his face.

--------

Far under the waves, hidden within the icy depths of the ocean, frost-covered eyelashes moved slowly as lids opened to reveal a pair of cruel eyes. Hardships and loss could be seen hidden within that gaze if any could survive long enough to look for them. What was not hidden, was the cold rage that lay just under the surface of those dark blue eyes being lifted up to stare at the distant wake left behind by a passing ship.

What foolish mortal dared to cross his territory? Had they so quickly forgotten what happened the last time one of their ships trespassed on his waters?

"I guess it's time for a reminder," his voice cut sinisterly through the liquid around him, the few fish nearby darting away in fright at the laughter that followed soon after.

--------

Glaring darkly at the man I saw, his arm around the much younger female next to him, I turned around and left the room, my appetite spoiled. Why had mom ever married such a horrid man, I would never know. Surely not because he was the best she could find, a fair few more gentlemanly suitors having trailed behind her in the years since father's untimely death. Surely one of them could have sparked something in her heart that would have lasted longer and been truer than whatever it was this piece of filth had given her.

There was no lack of money that he could offer to assist with, my uncle having been more than happy to run the estates in my father's place, assuring we would not want for anything. And as much as I hated to admit it, this man had wealth of his own, so he was no gold digger either. Not once had he taken so much as a coin from the estate, even though by marriage rights he could take it all.

Frowning at the thoughts running through my head, I turned down the hall and found my way upstairs to a higher deck, once more finding myself leaning against the railings. What did that man want from my mom? What did she have that he couldn't find elsewhere? Surely he didn't love her, for if he did, he would not cheat on her like he did.

It was as I looked out at the distant waves illuminated by the setting sun that I saw something strange, a darkness beneath the water like a cloud of ink moving slowly towards the ship, followed closely by an unusual paleness growing upon the surface of the suddenly still ocean. Ice. The very waves were freezing in place, liquid one moment and solid ice the next.

"Impossible...," I whispered, my voice almost lost to the fear that caught me in its grasp upon seeing such an unthinkable thing.

Before I could even think to shout to one of the sailors working further down the deck, the sound of metal being torn apart filled the air, the once proclaimed "unsinkable" ship taking in water faster than one could imagine. From that moment onward, everything was like a nightmare come to life as strangers began screaming and passengers began fighting each other in a hellish attempt to be the first assured of survival.