Snake - Black Butler - Snake Charmer

I cooed as I looked down at the serpent that had just slithered out from the bushes I'd been passing on my way up to the nearby circus tents. I'd always had a fascination with snakes, often going out of my way to see new kinds when I traveled with Father to exotic lands. I'd been in awe at the snake charmers I'd seen in marketplaces while Father haggled over the prices of various spices and medicines.

Kneeling down, I cooed again at the lovely snake, slowly lowering my hand to trail my fingertips along its scaled head. I smiled happily when it began coiling itself around my arm before resting upon my shoulders.

"Oh, what a beautiful creature you are! But how did you get here? Are you with one of the circus acts? Oh, if you are I do hope they treat you well. Although I must say, you do look like you are taken care of quite well with those glimmering scales of yours." Rubbing my cheek against the smooth scales of the serpent, I began looking for someone to ask about the snake's possibility of belonging to one of the workers.

"There you are Wilde... says Emily" I heard a soft voice almost hiss out from behind me.

Turning carefully so as not to alarm the serpent I carried on my shoulders, I looked into the loveliest pair of golden eyes I had ever seen. Upon his shoulders rested a pair of exquisite looking snakes.

"Oh, is this lovely creature one of yours as well? He seems rather happy to see you." I brought my arm back up as the snake maneuvered itself down towards my wrist, hissing gently at the man before me.

"Thank you for the concern... says Wilde." He spoke in a deeper voice than before, not meeting my eyes as he took the serpent from me.

"Of course! Snakes have always been a favorite of mine. The way they move and those lovely scales! They always manage to catch my attention!" I smiled at the young white-haired gentleman, reaching out carefully to caress the snakes as they shifted around his shoulders and arms.

"You are very kind... says Wordsworth." A slight blush spread across his cheeks.

"Well, I can't help it. I just find them so fascinating... Most anything that has scales tends to catch my eye, but snakes will always be the one to have hold of my heart. Father even joked once that if I could, I would likely end up marrying one of them. He'd probably be right, if there was one that could speak." I giggled before cooing softly at one of the snakes, not noticing how the blush on his cheeks grew darker.

"Would you really? asks Wilde." They soft but deep voice hissed out again, catching my attention.

"Well, I would want to get to know him first of course! It would be good to be friends first before trying to become more. But first I would have to find a snake that could speak to me, right?" Tilting my head, I gave a smile to the boy, noticing his blush finally.

Reaching out a hand, I gently brushed my fingers on his cheeks, realizing the scales were not simply painted on before he stepped back. Looking at him with wide eyes, I took a step forward and grabbed his shirt before he could run off.

"You really are part snake? It's not just makeup? Does that mean you really were speaking for your snakes and not just making stuff up? You understand them when they hiss at you? You really understand them?!" The excitement caused my voice to climb higher until I was nearly shouting at the poor young man, my (e/c) eyes wide as I stepped closer to the young man, looking quickly between him and the almost frantically hissing snakes he carried.

"Snake has always understood us... says Emily." The nervous whisper came as he seemed to be pondering if he should try pulling my hands away from him.

"That's so amazing! Do you think you could tell me what my own snake says? I've always wanted to know if he's been happy staying with me. Please talk to him for me! I've had him since he was very tiny and I rescued him from the gardener last summer! Although he is still rather very small, but I love him anyhow!" Reaching carefully into my skirt's hidden pocket, I pulled out a tiny serpent and held him out to the man, watching closely as the small snake began hissing softly.

"You have been a wonderful friend... says Donne." Wide golden eyes looked down at me as I stood there with a smile on my face, watching the snakes interact with each other.

"I'm very happy to hear that! Would you be willing to take care of him for me? With all the traveling I have had to do this year with Father, I have been worried that something might happen to him. But I just know that if you take him, he will be much safer. And he will have lots of friends to keep him company too! Please say yes!" I once more held out the tiny snake, hopeful eyes looking up at the young man.

"Will we see you again? asks Donne." The soft voice hissed, a sad quality to it.

"Of course! I'll give you my address and if you are ever in or near London again, I will come visit you! Besides, I always visit the circus whenever I am near one, so if it is yours we will definitely see each other again! I'd like to see ALL of you again." Pulling out a card with my name and address imprinted upon it, I leaned forward and gave a friendly kiss on the cheek before pulling back, pressing the card into his hands.

I smiled at the blush that tinted his skin pink, the scales darkening ever so slightly as well. Backing away, I gave a wave to the man and his snakes before turning and heading towards the street, having decided that today I would go home instead of seeing the circus.

"Take care of Donne for me. I look forward to seeing all of you again soon!" I called behind me.

--------

The letters I received between travels from Snake over the next several months kept my spirits high, as did the infrequent visits I made to the circus to see him. However, when the letters stopped and I heard news of trouble with the circus, I felt my heart break. For weeks, I spent my days in my room, locking myself away from the world outside.

It wasn't until much later after awakening late in the morning, when a single not arrived telling me that he had been hired on by the Phantomhive heir, that I finally ventured out of the room and into the outside world again. Getting dressed quickly, I hurried to the carriage and told the driver to make haste to the Phantomhive estate.

Arriving shortly after most would be eating their lunches, I ignored the dark-haired butler that had come out to meet us and nearly jumped out of the carriage, my eyes searching frantically for a sign of my white-haired friend.

"Snake! Snake, where are you?!" I called out, my voice sounding harsh from lack of use.

Running up the stairs towards the entry, I ignored the butler yet again as he offered to show me to the waiting room. Just before I could reach the handle, the door opened to reveal wide golden eyes set in a pale face. After freezing for nearly a minute, just staring at each other, I finally gave myself a quick shake and jumped at the young man.

"Snake! I thought I had lost you forever! Please, never leave me waiting so long again to hear from you!" I buried my face into the crook of his neck, feeling the snakes he always carried with him coiling around the both of us, the familiar soft hiss of Donne sounding in my ears.

"I'll never leave you wondering again, (y/n)." His soft voice whispered into my ear, for once without a snakes name following his words.

"What an interesting turn of events we have." Looking up, I was met with brown eyes, softly tinted with red.

"Well, get used to seeing me. I'll be visiting my Snake often from here on out." I refused to look away, one of my hands grabbing on to Snake's as I took a step back from him.

"(y/n) will be welcome as our guest... says Donne." I felt a reassuring squeeze from his hand as I looked over at him.

"Of course. It would not do to keep you away when it is obvious he wishes to court you." With a smirk, the dark-haired butler walked past us into the manor, leaving the two of us stammering as our faces grew red in embarrassment.

But deep inside, I thought perhaps that wouldn't be so bad a thing to happen. After all, Father always did say I would marry a snake if I could. Blushing a bit darker, I looked over at my very own Snake. Yeah, I could see myself quite happy with him. I wonder how I would explain this to Father?