Yamaguchi - Be My Friend

I watched from inside the small coffee shop as he walked past with his tall friend, heading to school together like they do every morning. Finishing the last of my breakfast, I grabbed my stuff and walked outside, my (f/c) school bag bouncing against my hip as I trailed behind the two boys. This had become my daily routine since I had transferred in to Karasuno partway through the year.

Sighing softly as I looked down at my shoes, I began to wonder if I would ever successfully introduce myself to the mostly quiet boy in front of me. He was one of the few boys I had seen that didn't make me feel nervous. The only problem was, it was hard to find him away from his tall, intimidating friend. The blond boy always seemed to look at others like they were idiots.

Honestly speaking, he scared me a bit and it made it very hard to get near the quiet, freckled boy that I wanted to try and befriend. However, today would be different. I'd spent all weekend practicing what I should say and building up my courage. Today, I would at least say hello to Yamaguchi!

Determination setting in, I looked up, ready to speak to him for the first time. The path in front of me was empty and my (s/c) face tinting pink when I realized I had walked past the turn off towards the school. Turning around I hurried back to the correct path and continued my way.

Bye the time I got to the school, both boys were already in the gym practicing and I had missed my first chance.

--------

Glancing down the hallway, I finally saw them walking together towards their classroom. I blushed slightly at the smile on Yamaguchi's face as the talked to his towering friend, likely about the practice they had just come from. Tsukishima looked slightly bored, but still responded once in a while, his hands tucked in his pockets and the ever-present headset resting around his neck.

I began walking towards them, repeating the words I wanted to say in my mind as I neared. Just before I could get close enough to say anything, someone ran into me and the notebooks I held in my arms fell to the floor.

"Sorry!" The boy yelled as he continued to run past, not bothering to stop for even a moment. Sighing, I knelt down and began picking up the notebooks, as well as the loose papers that had slipped out in the fall and spread across the floor. I was looking around for the last notebook when I saw it held out in front of me.

"H-here you go." I looked up into his freckled face, a hint of pink across his cheeks. Reaching out, I took the notebook from him as my own face heated up from the blush that raced across my (s/c) skin.

Closing my (e/c) eyes and taking a deep breath, I was ready to give my thanks to him, but when I opened my eyes again he was already gone. Sighing quietly, I frowned and turned towards my classroom.

"Thank you...." I whispered the words into the almost empty hallway as I started walking away, my head lowered in disappointment as my (h/c) hair hid my face. I never noticed the eyes watching from an open doorway.

--------

Lunch time was another chance for making an attempt to speak to Yamaguchi. The only problem seemed to be finding him. I shyly mumbled apologies as I hurried past the meandering students, sometimes bumping into one as I craned my neck trying to spot either of the two boys.

You would think it would be simple to find the blond titan as he towered over the other students, but it didn't seem to be the case today. I'd searched the courtyard, the cafeteria, the classroom and the gym with not one sign of either of them. Finally giving up I sat down on a bench outside and ate my lunch, sighing at the poor luck I had been having today.

Determined to try harder after classes ended, I went back inside the building only to see the two boys I had spent half of the lunch period trying to find coming down the stairs that led to the rooftop. I couldn't stop myself from slapping my (s/c) hand against my forehead, unable to believe I had forgotten such an obvious spot.

Hanging my head yet again I shuffled the rest of the way to class in defeat, not noticing the glinting eyes that followed me.

--------

I could feel my hands begin to tremble as the last bell rang, signaling the end classes for the day. Slapping my face lightly, I took a deep breath and stood up to follow the students exiting the classroom. After hurrying to my locker and grabbing my(f/c) bag, I readied myself for one final try at speaking to the boy I admired.

I turned and hurried outside, heading towards the gym as I focused on the words that spun about in my head. I wanted to tell him to have a nice day, that I wanted to someday be his friend if he would let me, that I had seen him practicing his serves once and found him to be amazing, but at this point I would be happy just to be able to say hello.

Reaching the closed door of the gym, I noticed a distinct lack of sound from inside. Peering through the window nearby, I saw nothing but a dark and empty room. Had practice been canceled? Had I missed my chance to talk to him yet again? I could feel the sting of tears in my (e/c) eyes as I slowly turned away from the window, only to be met by a blushing face covered in freckles.

"Are y-you okay, (y/n)-chan? Y-you l-look upset..." His quiet voice washed over me as I stared at him with my eyes wide. Yamaguchi was in front of me, talking to me and asking about my well-being.

For a moment, all I could do was open and close my mouth, the words caught in my throat.

"T-th-thank you!" I shouted out, my eyes squeezing shut as I stood there. I could feel my face grow hot as the blood rushed to my cheeks. Suddenly I let out a tiny gasp as I realized he had said my name. Yamaguchi knew my name! Opening my eyes, I met his gaze for a moment before looking away in embarrassment, finally noticing Tsukishima standing in the distance with a sly smile on his face.

"U-umm.... Y-you're welcome?" He sounded slightly confused, but still managed to smile and act polite. I couldn't stop the small giggle that escaped me at the look on his face.

"For h-helping me earlier. With my n-notebooks. Thanks." I met his eyes again as I gave a quick smile, looking down quickly as I shuffled my feet in nervousness.

"Oh! Y-yeah, the guy who ran into y-you... He should have helped t-too! Right Tsukki?!" He turned to his friend, his ears turning pink as he seemed to be asking for help from his friend.

"The idiot missed his chance." Chance? What was he talking about? I blinked my eyes in confusion at the odd statement, tilting my head as I tried to understand what he must have meant.

"U-um... I guess I-I should start heading home... Th-thanks again, Yamaguchi-kun. Tsukishima-san. G-goodbye!" I gave a quick wave before running off to the gates, eager to leave the embarrassment I felt behind. Stepping through the gates, I couldn't hold back the small cheer at having finally talked to not just Yamaguchi, but also his friend. Maybe my luck wasn't so bad after all!

----

"I told you she liked you." Eyes glinted as he looked at his freckled friend, a smirk on his lips.