Kiyoshi Mayaji - Blind Date

I sat nervously at the table, my hands shaking slightly as I took another sip from the glass of water. I don't even know why I was here. Well, I knew why I was here, but I didn't know why I had said yes to the blind date my friend had insisted I go on. It was only because it was Valentines and I didn't want to spend another year sitting alone at home that I said yes this time, but already I was regretting it.

Was it really any better to be left waiting in a cafe for someone who might not even show up, than it was to stay at home where at least I could watch a movie before going to bed? I jumped when I heard the door's bell ring, signaling someone entering the building. Looking over, I saw a two people come in, one after the other. The quickly separated, showing they were not, in fact, together.

The tall blonde guy walked over to the counter, asking for a coffee before moving to a table along the windows. The other young man, black hair hanging down into his eyes, took a look around before looking at me with a frown.

"Are you (y/n)?" He asked, frowning even more as I nodded my head.

"Yes. Are you Ma-" I was quickly interrupted as he raised his hand.

"I don't know why my friend wanted me to meet you. I can tell right away that you are not my type. I'm just going to go." With those blunt words, the boy turned around and walked back outside, leaving me sitting there with my mouth dropped open.

"That's it, I'm never saying yes again to a blind date! I don't care if I spend every holiday alone from this day forth! It is not worth dealing with guys like that, just to have someone to spend the day with! What a-" Once more I was interrupted, this time by the blonde guy as he came walking over to my table and sitting down.

"What a jerk, talking like that to a girl. Didn't they teach manners at his school? I swear, if he hadn't already I would have been looking for a durian." All I could do was blink my eyes and the angry looking young man who now sat across from me.

"I'm sorry... Do I know you?" I asked, bewildered at why this seeming stranger had sat down at my table.

"I'm Kiyoshi Miyaji. We used to share a class last year. You probably don't remember since you spent so much time looking out the windows or drawing in your notebook." The frown on his face grew as the mentioned my poor classroom habits.

"Oh! I remember you now! You were on the basketball team! I remember hearing you yell something about pineapples whenever you were around that green-haired boy!" I bounced happily in my seat as I recalled one of the incidences, smiling at the memory.

"Well, what do you know. It looks like you did pay attention to something at school, just not the teacher." The blonde smirked at me, but for some odd reason I did not find it as annoying as it should have been.

"Nope! I had better things to think about back then! And I still do most days!" I laughed softly, smiling brightly at my old classmate.

"Oh? And what would that happen to be?" Sighing at me, he took a sip of his drink.

"Which of my friends to take with me to see Miyu-Miyu of course! It's not just guys that follow idols like her after all! But I can't take just anyone with me either! Like next weekend, I can't take someone who doesn't even care to go! Otherwise I am just wasting the extra ticket I won! Do you know how hard it is to win a pair of tickets on those contests they run?!" Leaning forward over the table, I sent a serious look towards Kiyoshi.

"You're the person who won?! Do you know how many times I've entered those contests to try for a ticket? And I've never won! Are you telling me you've won more than once?!" His eyes widened in either shock or anger, I'm really not sure anymore. The guys temper always had run short.

"Well, yeah. I win at least a couple times a year in those contests. But I can never find anyone who wants to go as much as I do, so I usually end up just dragging a friend along with me." I shrugged at the boy, shuffling my feet under the table.

"Take me! Take me this time and I'll give you whatever you want! Just let me see Miyu-Miyu with you!" I sat there blinking at the boy, before shrugging again.

"Sure. Nobody else wants to go anyhow. I would just end up either begging a friend or going alone, so why not you? At least you seem like you would enjoy yourself." Pulling out a piece of paper and a pen, I wrote down my contact info and passed it to the guy.

Standing up, I bid farewell and walked out the door, the bell ringing behind me. Maybe the blind date hadn't worked out the way my friend had planned, but it might have worked out better than I had hoped. Even if it was in an unusual manner.