Rosalina (Mario Galaxy) - Cosmic

This is a Mario Galaxy AU story, requested by someone on another site, that I decided to bring over here to share. I'm not sure if it will have much appeal to anyone, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post it anyhow. And yes, I am still working on Laxus. He's just being difficult to write, stubborn male that he is. Don't worry, I'll get him finished, no matter how much he fights it. In the meantime, for those of you who read this, I hope you enjoy!

"Welcome to the Cosmic Circus!" The voice boomed over the speaker system, barely heard above the roar of the crowd waiting to get inside.

Looking around, I did my best to ignore the screams of small children as they ran around unattended by their parents. The trees lining the pathway rustled their leaves in an unseen breeze as the gates were finally unlocked, people quickly handing over their already purchased tickets or purchased them on the spot.

When my turn finally came, I stepped forward and pulled my ticket from my jackets inner pocket, having kept it close to me from the moment I'd bought it weeks ago. It was hard enough to get to this place, some people waiting months to gain entry due to the amount of people hoping to see the wondrous creatures and performers gathered from different areas of the galaxy. Even I had to admit to myself that I was feeling like a kid going to a circus for the first time.

Stepping through the gate, I gazed in awe at the large area before me as I walked slowly forward, ignoring the people pushing past me as they rushed to the tent. A few creatures could be seen moving in the distance, unlike anything I had ever seen before nor imagined could exist. Near them were various forms of what appeared to be people, their features as amazing as the creatures they worked with as they gathered the needed equipment for the show they would be putting on today.

I was almost ready to head into the tent, excited even more for the show that would be put on soon, when I saw something that froze me in place. Just as I was about to turn my gaze away from the performers, a tall woman stepped out from behind the edges of the tent, her long hair trailing behind her as she began speaking with the workers. The soft blue of her dress stood out clearly among the bright colors of those she stood near, the way it hugged her body only accentuating her curves as I watched her move about.

It wasn't until she glanced in my direction and gave a quick smile before turning back to the creature she was inspecting that the spell was broken.

--------

The smell of fresh popcorn and cotton candy filled the air, distant lights twinkling like stars in the upper reaches of the large tent as I found an empty seat not too far from the front row. Straining my eyes, I still couldn't make out what it was shining up above us. My attention was taken from the mystery when I heard the crowd suddenly grow silent, an excited tension filling the air before a huge cheer came from the crowd.

Looking to the middle of the vast area, far bigger than you would expect even such a large tent to be able to hold, I spotted the same woman as before stepping into the center ring. My breath caught at the way the lights above reflected off her hair, causing the strands to almost shimmer like moonlight catching on fresh snow. Her cyan blue eyes scanned the audience as she gently waved to everyone with one hand.

After a few minutes of greetings being shouted down to her from the raised seats of the audience, she lifted her hands in a quieting motion, showing the most subtle smile to the crowd that had gathered for the show.

"Thank you all for coming. My name is Rosalina and tonight I would like to welcome you all to the one and only Cosmic Circus, with attractions from every corner of the galaxy and a few most didn't know existed. We brings you sights that most wouldn't believe could be real, but today the proof will be before you. Without further delay, I bring you our opening act. Come on down my Luma friends and say hello." After listening to her soft voice carry through the otherwise silent tent, we watched as she waved at the tent's upper reaches, tilting our heads to look up at whatever she was waving to.

I wasn't the only one to gasp as the twinkling lights from before began spinning about the tent, slowly floating lower and lower until we all saw the small, brightly shining stars that had begun dancing around Rosalina. Seeing the reflection of their lights upon her skin, hair and clothing made her look even more beautiful than before.

I could only stare in awe at her as performance after performance played out around her. Rope dancers, animal tamers, juggling and balancing acts and more played out on the edges of my vision as I watched her every move. I was entranced by her.

--------

I almost missed the finale, I had been looking at Rosalina so closely. The only thing that brought it to my attention was the young lady dressed in a bright yellow jumpsuit who walked up and brought out and lighting a long colorful sparkler and flashing a smile at the crowd, the lady who Rosalina announced was Daisy climbed into a large cannon, brightly painted in yellow and orange.

I watched in amazement as she proceeded to twist around and, using the tip of a short sparkler as it released a fountain of bright sparks into the air, lit the tip of a fuse that was just long enough for her to reach. Glancing to the side, I noticed a large net had been put up to catch her, various crew members waiting nearby in case she got injured or needed help. Bringing my eyes back to the cannon, I saw the fuse had grown much shorter, tiny sparks flying off as it burned down under the soft light of the Luma's still flying above.

The loud boom as she was shot out and across the huge tent was almost deafening, the smoke left behind from the shower of sparks still floating gently around the lip of the cannon as the now dead sparkler lay upon the ground nearby. Lowering my hands from my ears, I closed my mouth as I watched Daisy being gently lifted from the net, a smile on her lips as she waved to the audience.

Whipping my head to the other side, I locked gazes with Rosalina, a small smile on her face as she winked at me before turning back to the rest of the crowd and announcing the end of the show.

--------

"I told you, I want to extend my stay for an extra day! What are you not understanding about that?" I growled in frustration as the booth attendant shook his head at me, his brightly colored frill atop his feathered head flaring up as I held back a scream of frustration.

"Please refrain from shouting at our Jibberjay. He's simply following orders. I told him not to let anyone exchange tickets because the rooms in our hotel are already booked solid for the night. We have limited space for guests, preferring to use most of our available space for the show and things related to that." I couldn't help blushing a little, embarrassed that I had been caught behaving so rudely to another, regardless of how frustrated I was. And by Rosalina, no less.

"Sorry. I'll try to behave better in the future," I quietly said to the bright orange bird-like creature, hanging my head a little as I waited for one of the two to tell me to leave.

"It's okay, just don't do it again tomorrow." Rosalina's soft voice did nothing to stop the confusion that spread through me at her words, the smile on her face slowly growing bigger until she let out a small laugh at the look on my face.

"Tomorrow? But I have to leave tonight. I can't afford another round-trip ticket to come back tomorrow." I spoke quietly, not sure what was going on.

"Silly, I'm saying you can stay tonight. Well, if you don't mind sleeping in a tent instead of the inn. But if you stay, I'll let you have one of the best spots I know of."

--------

Wrapped up warmly in the sleeping bag she had loaned me, I gazed up at the vast expanse of space above me. Stars, planets and even nebulae were visible to my naked eye, awe inspiring sights that could easily overwhelm a person with their spectacular sights, outdoing even the wonder of the circus itself.

But all of it paled in comparison to how I'd felt when Rosalina had kissed my cheek before wishing me a pleasant nights sleep on the grassy slope outside her living quarters.