Finnian - Tending to Roses

I never planned to trespass onto someone elses property before but I really couldn't help myself when I saw the young blonde "tending" to the rose bushes a bit too energeticly. Running over to him, I waved my arms while calling for him to please stop. I couldn't stand seeing such lovely plants suffering from his 'tender care' and decided I had to save them before it was too late.

"Please! Stop cutting the rose bushes! You're cutting too much off of them!" I finally reached him and wrapped my arms around him in an attempt to keep him from removing even one more limb from the sad looking plant in front of him.

Feeling him freeze up, I slowly turned my head from looking at the rose bush and saw a red flush spreading across his face. I quickly felt a matching reaction bring heat to my own face as I stepped back and began mildly panicking, my arms flailing.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to intrude or grab you like that! I just saw the poor roses and had to stop you! I'm sorry, but you really need to be gentle with rose bushes! I'm sorry! I just love them so much I couldn't help myself! I'm sorry!" Bowing my head and looking at the ground, I waited for him to start yelling at me for my actions.

"Umm... D-do you know a lot about roses, Miss?" I looked up at hearing his slightly trembling voice.

The last thing I was expecting to see, was a flustered looking boy looking at me like I was offering him water in the middle of the desert. All I could do was stand there for a moment before slowly nodding my head.

"Yeah, my last employer put me in charge of the gardens. I quite loved getting to work with all the different flowers there, but the roses have always been my favorite! Umm.. If you want, I could show you a few tips on how roses like to be handled..." Blushing, I looked down, waiting for him to get upset with me for talking to him like this.

After all, that is how I lost my job recently, daring to offer suggestions to one of the men working in the gardens. Even if I had been in charge, men did not care to listen to a female about how to go about their jobs. Not unless you were the one paying their wages, and even then it was better to get a man to do the talking.

Unless you were the queen of course, then you could just demand that they do as you wanted. No crown sat on my head however, and so no man felt the need to listen to what I had to say.

"Please do! There is still lots for me to learn about taking care of the gardens and it would be nice to learn from someone who has done this before!" I almost couldn't believe my ears, hearing him agreeing to let me teach him how to do his job better.

"You.. You'll really let me show you? You're not upset with me? I mean, I don't even work here so you would be well within your rights to kick me off the property or call the police or something like that. So why are you not yelling at me like any other man would?" I stood looking at the boy, my (e/c) eyes wide with shock from getting a response so vastly different from what I had been expecting.

"But it would be pretty silly not to listen to someone who could teach me how to do my job better. Sabastian is always telling us we need to learn to do our jobs right. Sadly he is usually too busy to show us much, so there is still a lot me and the others have to learn. Oh! I almost forgot! My name is Finnian, but everyone calls me Finny so you can call me that too! It's a real pleasure to meet you, Miss!" I couldn't help but return the bright smile that was on his face, his happy attitude so different from the many servants I had worked with before.

"Forgive my poor manners! My name is (y/n). It is a pleasure to make your aquaintance, Finnian." I looked at the ground, giving a quick curtsy to the boy as I tried to hide my embarrassed blushing.

"Ah, don't worry about it! Really! Oh! This isn't keeping you from your work is it? I don't want you to get in trouble with your boss! If you need to you can always come back!" The boy began to flail his arms around, a slightly panicked look on his face that made me giggle.

"No, you don't have to worry about that. I'm actually inbetween jobs right now so there is nobody to get mad at me." I frowned as I spoke, ashamed that I had been unable to keep my job.

"You mean you're looking for a new job?" His voice brightened as he asked the question.

"Yeah, I guess you could say I am looking for employment right now. Do you know someone who might be hiring?" I almost gasped when he grabbed my hand and started pulling me behind him towards the mansion that stood nearby.

"Comeon! I bet Bouchan would be happy to hire you! And then you would have lots of time to show me everything you know about gardening!" I began running beside him when I heard those words, my heart filling with hope for the first time in several months.

Maybe I'd be able to fit in here, if the people were anything like this boy. Looking at the smile on his face, I let out a laugh and pulled us both to a stop just long enough to give him a hug before running forward again.

"If he hires me, I'll teach you anything and everything I know about gardening and everything else I've learned!" Running ahead of him now, I missed seeing the red blush spreading across his cheeks before he began chasing after me, a grin on his face as he began thinking of all the fun he would be having from now on.