Sousuke (Free!) - Saying Goodbye

Warnings- Angst, OOC Sousuke, suicide (I do not support anyone killing themselves. This was only for story purposes.) and short oneshot length. If any of these things disturb you, please do not read this oneshot.

I was desperate to understand, but I really couldn't wrap my head around what I had just heard from the dark-haired young man that stood in front of me. I couldn't even make myself speak a single word to him, too shocked at what was going on. Maybe it was just a bad dream. That would explain what was happening. It had to be a bad dream, and I was bound to wake up any moment now, right? Any moment now... Please wake up, (y/n)...

"Again, I'm sorry, but I just think we've gone as far as we can in our relationship. I'm sure you understand. Neither one of us is happy anymore right? After all, it's not like we've even been seeing much of each other lately. I think it's best if we both just move on, find someone else who can make us happy again, like we used to do for each other. I'll come by tomorrow while you are at work and get my stuff so we don't have to bother each other. I'll be spending the night at Rin's place, so I won't bother you any more tonight. Bye (y/n)." With those words, he turned around and walked out the door, leaving me behind as my world crashed down around me.

Didn't he understand? I'd been putting all those extra hours in for him. I'd wanted to surprise him for our three year anniversary. It was the longest I had been in a steady relationship before and I wanted him to know how special he was to me, sticking with me for so long even though we didn't get to spend as much time together as we both had wanted. But then again, maybe it was just me who had been feeling that way all this time?

Walking into the kitchen, I slid the top drawer open and pulled out the envelope, opening it to look down at the tickets I had gotten. He'd always wanted to go on a trip and I'd wanted to make at least that one dream come true, saving up several hundred dollars to buy us each a round trip ticket to visit the distant hot-springs he was always talking about.

It would have been a whole weekend together, just the two of us. It would have been a chance for his shoulder to get some extra recovery after the strain he'd put on it in high school. Did he think I'd not noticed how much it had been bothering him the past few months, as the weather began to get cooler? Or did he think I didn't really care? Did he think so little of me, while to me he was the center of my world?

Giving a broken laugh as I clutched the tickets in my hand, I walked out to the balcony and saw him exiting the building below me. Without a sound, I raised my hand and let go. Of the tickets, of my love and of my future. The only words I spoke that night were a softly whispered "Goodbye Sousuke. I truly loved you." Moments later he looked down with wide blue eyes at my shattered body, the tickets fluttering slowly to the ground at his feet.