Riko (KnB) - First Meetings

The first time I met Riko-chan, she had been dragging a tired looking group of guys behind her, complaining about how they were once again too broke to afford to eat after a match. Looking at their disappointed faces, especially on the tall red-head who's stomach I could hear growling from further down the block, I gave a small shrug and stepped towards them.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but I couldn't help overhearing about your... Situation? I'd be willing to help you out in exchange for a little help moving some stuff. I need to move a few tables around, you all look strong, and in payment I'm willing to feed you free of charge." Looking at the different boys, the majority looked more than strong enough to do the work without a problem. "What do you say?"

"What kind of food are you talking about?" The tall guy with split brows asked, a small frown on his face.

Turning slightly, I pointed at a restaurant down the sidewalk a ways. I could see the looks of disbelief on most of their faces.

"My dad owns it. He's out of town for the week on business and left me in charge. However, I'm not strong enough to be moving all the tables around and everything was arranged for a business meeting yesterday. Help me put them all back where they normally go and I'll see to it you are well fed in exchange for the work." Walking towards the restaurant, I brought out my keys to unlock the door.

"Hey, I've heard of this place! My dad is always talking about wanting to come here but he doesn't want to pay the high prices. Oh, sorry. No offense meant of course!" The lone female of the group fidgeted for a moment as I looked at her.

"None taken, but do tell him to remember that in situations like this, you get what you pay for. We do not charge high prices and skimp on the quality of the food. For one thing, my father knows I would refuse to work here if he tried that. For another, he would have a hard time finding a new cook." Opening the door and moving aside, I invited the team inside, locking the doors behind them.

"Why would they need to find a new cook? Would they leave with you? And why would it be so hard to find a replacement?" One of the boys, a somewhat stern looking boy with glasses, asked as he looked around the room.

"Yes, the main cook would leave the same time I do. And my father knows that. As for finding a new one, I have a lot of friends out there among the cooks and chefs and they would not be willing to work in this place if Dad started using cheap ingrediants. That is why I know that will never happen. Dad is too smart to take that many losses just to try and save money on making the food. The correct thing is to make sure the price of the items on the menu, reflects the price of the ingredients used to make it." After I finished answering the questions the boys had, I began explaining how the tables needed to be set up for the coming week's service.

"Ok, while you guys move the tables around, I'll go get the food ready for you. Please be patient as it might take a bit, but it will hopefully be worth the wait." Taking one last look at the boys as they began lifting and carrying the tables around the room under the watchful eye of their female coach, I headed into the kitchen and began getting their 'payment' ready for them.

--------

"Do you smell that?" Kuroko said, his nose lifting into the air.

"Huh? What are you tal... What is that?" Hyuuga asked, taking a small sniff.

"More importantly, where is it coming from and can we eat it?" Kagami was starting to drool as his stomach rumbled loudly from hunger.

"So, you are enjoying the smell of the food? That is good. Please find a seat and you will be served shortly. I was just coming to ask if tea would be acceptable for everyone or if someone would prefer something else to drink." I smiled as I watched the tall redhead jump in shock at my appearance.

"Tea will be fine, thank you." The blue-haired Kuroko said, the rest of the team nodding in agreement. Sometimes it pays to listen to people talk, if only to learn peoples names.

"I will see to it then. Thank you for the hard work." Turning around, I walked back into the kitchen to finish preparing the tea.

"Riko-senpai, why are you grinning like that?" Kuroko calmly asked the girl as he took a seat at a nearby table.

The girl quietly sat down, refusing to say anything as she brought out her notebook and began writing, the boys around her feeling nervous about the dark grin that was spread across her lips. Every so often a quiet chuckle would escape her, sending shivers down the spines of those sitting close enough to hear.

--------

"Wow, you really didn't need to call your cook over to make us food you know! I'm sure the boys would have been fine with whatever you could fix on your own! This is way too fancy to serve us just for a little heavy lifting." Riko's eyes were wide as she looked at the mouth watering meal before her.

"Oh, it's no bother. The cook was already here, so getting them to fix something was no problem at all." I smirked at the group, holding back the laughter I wanted to let out.

"I have a question. Would you happen to be the cook here?" Kuroko looked at me with an almost invisible look of suspicion in his eyes.

"Oh my gosh, I wish I was this good! No, I can cook but this is beyond me. Hey Seiichi! Get out here and say hi!" I called loudly to the kitchen, watching with a grin as a tall 17 year old boy walked quietly through the doors, his dark (e/c) eyes refusing to look higher than the floor.

"Everyone, this is Seiichi, my older brother. Please forgive him, he doesn't really talk much. Especially around strangers. Seiichi, these are the people who helped move the tables around for us!" Smiling brightly at him, I pulled him closer and watched him slowly begin glancing around at the people sitting there with mouths open in shock.

"Why didn't you get him to move the tables?!" The redheaded Kagami shouted, sounding both confused and angry.

"Because, he's just one person and not nearly as strong as you guys are. It would likely have injured his hands if he tried moving the tables, and then who would be cooking the food at tomorrows service? Besides, it's not like you didn't get a free meal out of this deal. Do you want to hear how much this would have cost you if you had to pay for it?" I turned a cold glare at Kagami before turning back to smile at Seiichi.

"Ahh, please ignore Bakagami, all he knows is basketball. Useful enough on the court, but not so much in situations like this. So, how old are you two? And what school do you attend?" Riko's cheerful sounding questions caused the team to freeze in place, the smile on her face similar to the kind she wore when talking about a 'good' practice match. They almost felt sorry for the (h/c)-haired girl and her brother.

"Oh, Seiichi is 17. He's a year older than I am." Smiling cheerfully at Riko, I was shocked at what I heard next.

"Cute..." The soft whisper from beside me made my eyes widen in surprise.

"Eh? Seiichi-nii? You think Riko-chan is cute? Really?" Looking at the girl more closely than I had so far, I slowly came to a decision.

Giving a final look, I turned back to my aniki with a smile and a nod.

"Okay, Seiichi-nii! I'll be fine with you dating her! But don't tell Dad, he would freak if he saw you hanging out with a cute girl like her!" Grabbing my phone, I quickly snapped a picture of my cute blushing Seiichi-nii, turning to snap another of the red-faced group of students from Seirin.

"EHH?!!" The shout almost rattled the walls.

--------

Even months down the road, I still had those cute pictures on my phone. And I still think loud, fun Riko-chan would be the cutest match for my quiet big brother. Even if some of the boys on the team would argue with me about that. Not my fault if that one boy doesn't step up his game before my brother wins her over.

"Mwahaha!" Rubbing my hands, I contemplated how to help him in his continuing battle for her affections, ignoring the looks the passing students gave me.