Mikasa (Attack on Titan) - Taking Care Of You

I cradled the steaming cup of hot coffee in my hands, doing my best to keep warm in the cool autumn weather as I leaned against the cracked wall of an old shop. The yellow and red leaves of the trees were nice to look at, but the ones layered upon the ground simply provided a slick surface after the light rain that had fallen earlier.

By the time I saw her leave the building I was watching, the coffee was gone and my fingers red from the cold. I couldn't for the life of me guess why she was so late, not that it helped that I always showed up 10 minutes early to wait for her but usually she was always on time, if not a few minutes early herself.

It wasn't until she was just a few feet away from me that I noticed the problem. Sighing, I took the last few steps to reach her and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her against me as I rested my forehead against hers.

"Mikasa, why didn't you text me or call. You should have let me know you hurt your ankle during the run yesterday, we could have canceled the date until you were better." I trailed my fingers through her soft black hair, my eyes closing as I imagined the pain she must have been in just trying to get dressed to see me.

"That's exactly why I didn't tell you, I knew you would cancel the date." I sighed again as I pulled back to look into the dark pools of her eyes, the same eyes I lost myself in every time I saw her.

"Mikasa, I just don't want you to be in pain. I would rather cancel the date and let you heal, so please let's just get you back inside and get you off that ankle. You can pick a movie for us to watch while I take care of you." I cupped one hand against her cheek, my eyes begging her to give in and let me pamper her for the night.

"And what will you get out of this, (y/n)? At least if we go out you could have fun, instead of being cooped up in a too small apartment with me, watching movies you've probably seen have a dozen times by now." The pout on her face told me how bad she must be feeling, since she never really acted like this when she wasn't hurting.

"What I get out of this is the chance to take care of the girl I love, to pamper her and take care of her needs. Since you are usually in perfect health, I don't get many chances to shower you with affection by taking care of you when you are ill. Who knows when I will have a chance like this again?" Just as I finished talking, I shifted my hands around and gently lifted her into my arms, her gasp of surprise filling my ears.

I smiled as I felt her head come to rest on my shoulder, looking down at her for a moment before taking the first step towards the building she lived in. I swear I only froze for a moment when I heard the words that were whispered softly from her lips, after which I couldn't help but press my own gently against them.

"I love you too, Mikasa. With all my heart."