Sugawara (Haikyuu) - Staying Beside You

I hope this brightens your day a bit oikawas. Remember, Suga loves you!

I sat quietly in the park, waiting as patiently as I could for the time to pass until he showed up. Maybe if I listened to some music, it would go faster. With that thought in mind, I grabbed my phone and earbuds, finding my favorite playlist and filling my ears with my favorite songs.

Looking around and seeing the emptiness of the park, I sat back and closed my eyes, entering a world of sound as the minutes slipped past unnoticed.

--------

I jumped in shock when I felt the hand touch my shoulder, eyes openning quickly as I turned to stare at the boy behind me, a hand clenched over my racing heart.

"Koshi-kun! Don't scare me like that! You're going to give me a heart attack some day if you keep that up!" I gasped the words out, still trying to catch my breath and slow my heart back down.

"(y/n)-chan, you shouldn't be falling asleep in places like this. Please be more careful, I don't want you getting hurt." My heart began racing for a whole new reason when he pulled me close and held me, the tiny trembling in his hands causing me to melt against him as my hands reached around to his back.

"I'm sorry I worried you, Koshi-kun. I'll try to be more careful in the future." I was almost blinded by the smile he gave me when he pulled his head back to look in my eyes.

"That's all I ask, (y/n)."

--------

I placed my shaking hands in my lap, feeling far more nervous that I had expected to. I mean, it's not like it was our first date. We did stuff together all the time, watching movies, going to the beach, walking home together and even watching each others practices. But I have to admit, this is the first time we had gone to such a fancy looking restaurant, surrounded by such nicely dressed men and women.

"It's kind of intimidating isn't it, being in a place like this?" His soft whisper carried easily to me in the quiet atmosphere of the large room, the soft lighting reflecting gently in his eyes.

"Y-yeah, a little I guess. I'm too used to being in noisier places, ya know? Or at least around more people our own age. It's quiet here, but it's such an intense quiet that I feel like I'll be glared at if I talk to loudly." I finally said how I was feeling, wondering for a moment if he would think me too childish for thinking that way.

The quick smile and nod he sent me was more reassuring than I had thought it would be, my chest finally relaxing as I could take a deep breath. Smiling back at him, I couldn't help suddenly laughing aloud, the rush of joy that he felt something similar to me filling me up inside.

It didn't take long before we were asked to leave but by that point we didn't care, the both of us prefering to find someplace more relaxing to have our date. After all, it wasn't every day you celebrated having been together for a whole year.

--------

Finally finishing the last of the strawberry shortcake I picked for my dessert, we got up and walked outside, both agreeing that the local cafe was a much better choice for our date.

"Koshi-kun, I love you so much. Thank you for sticking with me for all this time." I smiled at him happily as I reached out to grasp his hand.

"Of course I'm sticking with you. All of my future plans have you in them, so I would be pretty silly to let you go now. Besides, I love you too much to just walk away now. That and I already bought you this." At those words he knelt down in front of me and brought out a small velvet box, opening it to reveal a promise ring, our names engraved inside.

Taking the ring out of the box, he lifted my hand up and slowly slipped the ring on my finger, his eyes never leaving mine. Feeling the sting of tears forming in my eyes, I brought my free hand up to wipe at my eyes.

"K-Koshi..." Too filled with emotion to say anything more, I just stood there staring at him as he smiled up at me.

"I know it's not an engagement ring and we are still too young to get married, but I wanted you to know that I'm serious about this, about us. I don't plan on ever leaving you, (y/n). You mean the world to me and someday I plan on replacing that ring with something better, something worthy of being worn on your finger. Until then, I hope you will continue to stick with me." Seeing him still kneeling there, I reached down and pulling at him to stand up before pulling him into a hug.

"I'll always stay with you, even if you never give me anything more than this ring. Because your promise to stay with me is worth more than any ring could ever hope to be. I love you because you are you, Koshi-kun. I enjoy being with you because you make me feel happy, like the world is a better and brighter place when you are beside me. Not because of the things you buy me." Pulling back to look into his deep, brown eyes, I found myself almost sinking into them.

The warmth I felt in my heart was matched only by the warmth of his lips as he pressed them gently against mine.