Sugawara (Haikyuu) - Consequences

Okay, here is the oneshot angst I promised you icetweaa. I hope you enjoy it! Since you didn't tell me which guy to write if about, I chose your bae, Suga-kun! Enjoy, my lovely Tweaa-chan!

The soft illumination of the moon and stars above were the only thing that allowed my tears to be visible to the silver-haired boy in front of me, memories of a happier time flashing through our minds as he watched my heart slowly shattering with each tear that fell.

Just weeks before, we had been laughing together over a joke shared after practice, passing his water bottle to him with a smile on my lips. A few days ago we had shared a kiss while saying our goodbyes after he'd walked me home, something that had become a frequent occurance since we'd started dating.

So what had changed, what had happened to all that happiness, that joy, that love? What had happened between then and now to take it all away from us? Had I done something, said something, that had caused him to fall out of love with me? Searching my mind frantically for the reason this was happening, I couldn't come up with anything.

Taking a shaky breath, I looked up into his brown eyes once more, only to see him shake his head at me before turning around and walking off in silence, feeling the last shards of my heart fall to the ground behind him and shatter on impact.

I stood there for several minutes before I felt the first drops of rain splash against my skin, quickly joining with the tears still streaming down my face.

--------

It was only a few days before students began to wonder where (y/n) had gone to, whispers spreading quickly through the school. At the end of the week when the teacher came into their class with a somber expression on her face. That is when the class realized, something other than a simple cold had kept (y/n) from attending school.

During lunch that day, whispers began to follow Sugawara around as he walked to the vending machine, staring at the choices available. It wasn't until he heard a pair of girls whispering as they walked past that he realized something had happened, finally hearing the gossip being spread around him.

"-was collapsed outside in the rain. They said she must have been out there the whole night! Her parents didn't realize she'd gone out until they went to wake her up and she wasn't-" Their voices faded as they continued on to the nearby building, leaving behind a shocked young man.

--------

Weeks passed before (y/n) was finally back in school. Teachers and students alike did their best to help her feel welcome again, accepted and cared for. It was days before she finally ran into the one who had shattered her so thuroughly.

Kneeling down to pick up the fallen books, Sugawara lifted his head to meet her (e/c) eyes as he moved to hand the books back to her. Seeing the blank look in her once vibrant eyes, he felt his heart twinge from the guilt at having left her alone, at having left her at all. Looking back, he realized how pathetic his reasons for leaving her were, things that could have easily been worked through with effort and time.

Sadly, he'd chosen to focus on the volleyball that had seemed so much more important at the time, not wanting to be distracted with the pressure of the interhigh matches coming up so in just a few weeks time. Looking at her now, the delicate girl who stood before him like a glass vase with the water slowly leaking out from the many cracks that he'd caused with his actions, he realized he'd made the wrong choice.

"(y/n)-chan, I'm sor-" Her soft fingers upon his lips halted his apology before it could get any further.

"Don't, just don't. It wouldn't matter anyhow, even if I could forgive you, since my parents have already made their decision. After this week is over, I'll be transfering to another school to finish my schooling. Goodbye Sugawara-san." Her voice, once filled with happiness when the spoke, was still scratchy and rough sounding from having been ill for so long.

Shocked from the news she would be leaving so quickly and the denial of a second chance to save what he'd so foolishly tossed aside, he could only stand there quietly as he watched the quiet girl walk away from him. Deep inside, he knew that it was deserved after having walked away from her, but he couldn't help it that a part of him still hoped that someday, somehow, he could win her affections back.

--------

The final match Sugawara played in his second year of high school, he wasn't sure what hurt more. The way Asahi gave up after being blocked so many times or the site of Dateko's new manager handing a bottle of water to one of their players with the same bright smile she used to show him.