Sugawara (Haikyuu) - A Most Precious Gift

This is dedicated to icetweaa as well as everyone else who's heart I broke with my angst Noya oneshot. I hope this makes up for it.

The first gift I ever received from him was something so simple that some would overlook it. Many would probably not even think of it as a gift, taking it for granted that such a thing would come by default from being in a relationship with someone. But for me, that first gift I got was the most important out of everything he's given me and I make sure to treasure it every day.

Smiling happily, I looked into the bright brown eyes of Sugawara and leaned towards him to steal a quick kiss. The blush that spread across his cheeks make me smile even brighter than before, reaching out to grab his hand gently before turning to walk with him towards the building where his teammates waited for him to begin practice.

The warmth I felt in my heart grew each time I felt his hand give mine a soft squeeze and when he finally let go just as we reached the steps leading up to the club room, I could feel my fingers tingling as if asking for his hand to come back and hold them again. Bringing my gaze back up from my fingers as he told me goodbye like he usually did before I left to go home, I grabbed the waist of his shirt and brought him to a stop.

"Suga-kun, is it okay if I watch you practice today? I don't need to go home early today, so I can stay until you are done and walk home with you instead. If that's not a bother, that is! I'll leave if that would be-" The feeling of his finger on my lips made me stop and look at his smiling face.

"I'd be more than happy to walk you home after practice, (y/n)-chan. Do you mind waiting outside the club room while I get changed? I would invite you inside but.. Well, you know..." The speed his face turned color was beyond amazing, as was the vibrancy, like watching a pair of brilliant red flowers blossom upon his cheeks.

Happily agreeing as I laughed quietly, I walked up the steps with him and stopped a few feet away from the club room. Waving at Suga as he went inside, I stood there with my book bag in my hands, thinking about how nice it would be to get to see him at practice after waiting so long.

I'd only seen him play once in the past, a match during the inter-high when he went in to take over for number 9, their new setter. They had both been amazing setters during the game, but watching how Sugawara interacted with his teammates caught my attention and my eyes never left him for the rest of the game, even when he was back on the sidelines.

I guess my eyes still haven't really left him. Even when he's far away from me, I can close my eyes and see him standing there with that same smile on his face, the one that tells me I'm as much his treasure as he is mine.

"Whoa!!! What's a pretty girl doing outside the club room?!" Hearing the loud shout as the door opened up, I spied a head of bright orange hair before the person was pulled back inside with a shout.

"Sorry about that (l/n)-san. Hinata-san can be rather excitable." Sawamura-kun said as he stepped outside. "Suga told me you'll be watching our practice today. It's very nice of you to support him when you have the chance. You've been so busy this year I wasn't sure you were ever going to be able to make it."

"Oh! Even if I hadn't been able to make it to any of his practices, I would always support my boyfriend at the actual matches, no matter what! After all, it's the least I could do after Suga-kun gave me such a precious gift to me right after I confessed to him!" Smiling up at the team Captain, I couldn't hide how happy I was to be able to be here today, finally able to meet the rest of his team instead of just the other third years as we walked to and from class each day.

"Eh? You're dating Sugawara-senpai? And he gave you a gift? What was it? Was it chocolates or flowers or a volleyball?!" I giggled at the questions the energetic boy as he stuck his orange haired head back through the door to look at me.

"No, it was something far more precious than any of those. EVEN a volleyball. He gave me something nobody else could give me, something he had to give me himself." I smiled at the look on his face, like he was in awe that something could be more precious than a volleyball.

Seeing the smile on Sawamura-san's face, I grinned back at him. Just as Suga stepped through the door, a small blush on his face as he looked at me, I finished my answer to the now quietly listening boy. I could just see the rest of the boys peeking out from behind Suga.

"Although some might not see it as the gift that it truly is, the one gift I treasure most from him, the one that I will always take care of because it can't be replaced if I break it... That most precious gift was his heart."