The Scribe - Yandere! Izana x Reader

The smell of ink filled my nose as I wrote down yet another of the remedies being shared with us by the Palace Pharmacist. The Herbalist I currently worked as a scribe for had been very lucky to make connections with the right people and had managed to get permission to meet with one of the assistants to gather information on new herbs and their uses, as well as new uses for old herbs.

In exchange, I would be staying behind for an agreed upon time period to work in the palace. Most likely I would be used simply to make copies of paperwork for various officials but being in a place like this, there was a fair chance that I could end up working on all kinds of documents.

Finishing the last of the papers that sat on the desk, I pulled gloves onto my (s/c) hands to cover the ink staining them, before carefully gathering up  all of the original scrolls and placing them within the large basket I had transferred them in earlier today. Standing slowly, I stretched out my back and shoulders, finding relief from the pain of sitting in one place for so many hours.

I could feel my stomach rumble from missing lunch, promising myself I would get something to eat after returning the basket of scrolls to their rightful place. I hurried down hallways and through courtyards, trying to remember the way to the correct room. I was almost ready to give up when I saw a slightly familiar face, although I couldn't recall a name or job.

"Excuse me! I'm sorry to bother you but I seem to be a little lost. Could you please tell me how to find the Assistant Pharmacist's office? I need to return these scrolls before I go to eat." I tried to sound friendly and cheerful, but I think it may have ended up just sounding nervous and confused. Oh well, at least he seemed to find me amusing, judging by the slight smirk on his face and the glint in his blue eyes.

"I'm afraid you are on the wrong side of the palace entirely." I could hear the laughter in his voice as he looked at me.

"I should have known. By the way, I'm (y/n)." All I could do was sigh as I pushed my (h/c) hair out of my eyes.

"Follow me, (y/n). I'll show you the way while you tell me about why you have so many scrolls." He smiled as he began walking ahead of me, not giving his name in return. Thanking him, I followed close behind as I started talking about the work I had taken on recently.

--------

I ran into the same blond-haired guy several times over the next week while gathering and returning the numerous scrolls the Herbalist had hired me to copy for him. We had gradually started having small conversation on various subjects beyond herbal remedies, eventually moving on to political concerns.

I had no problems telling the yet-to-share-his-name blond that I admired how this kingdom was run. I enjoyed how Prince Zen would go out and walk among the citizens of his country but I also admired how Crown Prince Izana used his brains to figure out how to do what was needed for both his people and his kingdom, all done in such a way that nobody could argue with how it was pulled off.

"I really started admiring him after he dealt with the lords of both the Lido and Sui Territories. Although the people suffered for a while, it ended with the lords both getting caught for their deeds and he was able to place better people to rule over both Territories. He even returned everything the lords had taken from the people. I really think when the time comes, we couldn't ask for a better person to become King." I smiled at the man beside me, happy to be able to talk to someone about more than just herbs and medicines.

"(Y/n), I didn't realize you kept informed of the goings on in a country you don't usually reside in. Do you keep informed of many other kingdoms beside your own?" He may be smiling, but I could glimpse a hint of concern in his eyes.