Makoto Tachibana - Laying on the Beach

Birds were drifting overhead, the wind carrying them gently across the soft blue sky as I watched. Sighing, I turned over and brushed the sand off my blanket as I lay there, enjoying the warmth of the sun shining down on me, the sound of the waves crashing gently against the shore filling the air.

I was almost asleep when the loud yelling of some boys down the coast startled me wide awake. Turning over again, I sat up and looked to the left a bit to see a small group of guys running into the ocean wearing swimming gear, one with a kick board in his hands. Nearby, they had put up a couple tents, a girl and young woman watching the boys and occasionally snapping pictures.

Peering out into the water myself, I watched for a bit as they swam further out towards one of the distant islands, shaking my head for a moment before laying back down. The things some people do for fun.

--------

Putting my book down for a few minutes, I watched as the same group of boys passed me as they ran down the beach again. They must be doing training for their school. Did everyone end up coming to this beach to train? Well, I had to agree that it was a good place to train.

And swimming in the ocean was a much bigger challenge than doing laps in a pool, having to fight against the current of the ocean at least part of the time. I had begun to admire those boys for their dedication to both their swimming and to each other.

Tapping my chin with one finger, I sat thinking for a few minutes before standing up and grabbing my things. Walking off the beach, I felt the smile slowly growing on my face. Maybe, just maybe, I could have a little fun on this trip.

--------

Since night had fallen before I could have everything ready, I decided to put it off until the next day. Hoping that they would still be there, I woke up early and made my way to the beach, thankful that my lodgings were not too far away. After all, I had a lot of bags I was carrying.

When I arrived, I was shocked to see all four boys laying on the sand, still dripping wet from being in the water. Setting the bags on the sand nearby, I grabbed my towel from the smallest bag and ran over, asking if they were okay while trying to dry them off.

"You know you can get sick if you just lay here wet like this so early in the morning don't you! You should know better than this! How could you continue your training if you fall ill?!" I shouted at them, concern filling my voice even if they were strangers to me.

"5 more minutes..." The shorter blonde boy mumbled, rolling onto his side.

Blinking for a moment, I soon began laughing at myself. What was I even thinking, coming here so early for a group of boys I didn't even know, had never talked to or even stood next to? What was I doing?

"Sorry to have worried you. We just had a bit of a long night, is all." I turned my head when I heard the soft voice from beside me, feeling my heart skip a beat when I looked into those soft green eyes.

"Oh... It's no problem. Is everyone okay though? Did anyone get hurt?" I barely managed to force the words out of my throat, hiding my suddenly trembling hands inside of the towel as I held it against my chest.

"We are all fine, just really tired. Thank you for the concern. I'm Tachibana Makoto." His smile almost blinded me as I sat stunned, wondering if I would ever meet this guy again after today.

"Umm... My name's (full name). It's a pleasure to meet you. Are you guys on a swim team?" I began fidgeting with the towel as I looked everywhere but at the teenager in front of me.

"Yes, we're in a swim club for our school. How did you know?" He reached out and gently grabbed the towel, starting to dry his hair as he looked at me out of the corner of his eyes.

"Oh, my uncle is an adviser for a swim club so I got used to seeing people train. He's here with his school's team, training at the local pool. But I think your ocean training is far more effective, since you have to work harder when you fight against the currents! And you have all been working so hard together, you are all growing as a team!" I clenched my fists as I leaned towards him for a moment, before pulling back when I realized how close that put us.

Blushing, I looked down at my hands quietly. When I suddenly felt a warm hand rest on my head before ruffling my (h/c) hair, I looked up in shock to see him smiling down at me, green eyes shining in the morning sun.

"I'm glad to hear that. Swimming together as a team is what will brings us closer to our goals." Listening to his words, all I could do was sit there and blush.

"Do I smell mackerel?" One of the other boys suddenly sat up and asked, his blue eyes shining.

"Oh! The food! I was going to surprise you with breakfast, but when I saw you all laying here I left the food over there in those bags!" I pointed my finger at the bags nearby before climbing to my feet and racing over to them.

"You made us breakfast? But you don't even know us." The blonde boy sat there, rubbing his eyes like a kid as he spoke.

"Yeah, but I saw you all working so hard yesterday, I thought you deserved something nice as a reward!" I smiled at them all, carrying the bags over until the tall brunette began grabbing them and carrying them the rest of the way to the tables nearby.

"Thank you  once again for your kindness, (y/n)-chan." I felt my cheeks grow warm as he smiled at me again.

"It's my pleasure, Makoto-kun." I said as I began pulling covered dishes of food from the bags, opening them as I set them on the table.

Soon, the smell of grilled mackerel, omelets, fresh rice and miso soup filled the air. The rest of the morning was spent in pleasant conversation, getting to know the boys better, as well as their adviser and manager when they later joined us for the remainder of the meal.

"Thank you all for letting me share the meal with you! Sadly, I see one of my uncles students coming to get me. Don't forget to text me, Makoto-kun! I hope I get to see you again some day!" Grabbing the once more full bags, I smiled again before waving at them all, and began running towards the tall redhead further down the beach.

Behind me, the team looked on in shock.

"Isn't that Mikoshiba-kun from Rin's team?"