Sugawara - Picnics and Practices

I hurried through the park as I looked for the group I was supposed to meet. I really wish I had been able to tell my old friend no to this meet up. Why did she have to be so persuasive? I always had such a hard time telling her no to things, just like when we were growing up.

But still, why did I have to come along? I didn't even know any of these people. I didn't even go to the same school as her anymore, so why make me show up? We hadn't even seen each other regularly in years!

I mean, I still considered her a friend of course and made the effort to visit her at her home at least every once in a while, but nothing like when we were going to school together. She was always so busy now with that club.

Oh well, at least this would be a chance to see what kind of people she was spending time around, instead of just hearing about them once in a while. And it was a chance to show her how much my cooking had improved since last time I made food for her!

Pulling the heavy (f/c) wagon behind me, filled with everything needed for a picnic lunch, I made my way towards the location she had told me the meet up would take place.

--------

It took a while longer to find the right spot. Who knew there could be so many places here that seemed to match the description she gave me? But at last I saw the group of boys smacking a volleyball back and forth over the net they had set up nearby.

I stood watching for a while, my (e/c) eyes wide in amazement, before I saw Kiyoko standing to the side talking to a young looking man wearing glasses. I guess this must be either the clubs coach or adviser from the school. Hurrying over with the wagon behind me, I began waving my free arm as I called out to her.

"Kiyo-chan! I finally found you! Do you have any idea how huge this park is, Kiyo-chan? Next time send someone to help me! This wagon is a pain to pull this far! I don't care how much you missed my cooking, it's not worth the back pain I will probably be suffering from tomorrow!" I whined playfully at my old friend as various boys from the group began looking at me oddly.

"Eh?! Kiyoko-senpai, do you know this girl?!" Two overly excitable boys yelled out to her as they raced over, their eyes wide as they seemed to be trying to decide whether I was safe to be allowed near Kiyoko or not.

"Awww! Kiyo-chan, I didn't know you had two such adorable boys protecting you these days! I feel so much better about leaving you at that school now!" I smiled brightly at the two boys now attempting to hide their blushing cheeks behind their hands.

I couldn't help but give them each a quick hug. I giggled as I watched the red spread to the tips of their ears as they began shouting random nonsense to each other before I started moving forward, my wagon of goodies pulled behind me once more.

"So Kiyo-chan, I hope you still like Tenmusu, because I fixed lots of it for you! There's also pork buns, omurice, vegetable curry and a bunch of other dishes I thought would be fun to make! And cake for desert!" I was almost bouncing with joy at this point, waiting to see if she showed any interest in the dishes I had named.

I almost danced at the tiny smile that lit up her face. I guess she did still like Tenmusu, just like in middle school. Thank goodness some things never change.

"Oh yeah! I also made some spicy mapo tofu! I just learned the recipe a few weeks ago so I thought this would be a great chance to make it and see if anyone likes how it turned out! I hope nobody minds!" I could see one of the boys perk up at my words, his brown eyes brightening as he began staring happily at the wagon behind me.

A few of the other boys began wandering over as I started setting down the blanket and lining the center with bowls and platters filled with different kinds of food. I had spent all morning cooking, even getting up early to prepare the dough for the buns.