Diving In - Part 2

Weeks had passed since the day I met them, the Iwatobi Swim Club, and I couldn't have asked for a better group of friends. I found myself smiling and laughing more than I had in years. I was happy, in the water and out. Not that I spent any less time in the water than before, I still jumped into any body of water I could find.

Although, I don't think I had it quite as bad as Haru did, if what I heard about fish tanks was true... I hadn't climbed into any of those.... Yet.... I quickened my pace as I neared the pool, hearing the splashing of the boys diving into the water. As I passed through the entry, I started pulling my uniform off, revealing the swimsuit beneath.

"Hey everyone! Sorry I'm late, my teacher made me stay late," I called out as I waved at Gou.

"Is everything ok?" Makoto asked, his inner mother-hen showing.

"Yeah, it's fine! Less talking, more swimming!" I answered quickly before diving into the pool, surfacing between Nagisa and Rei. After a quick glance towards the blue-haired boy I held some affection for, I gave Nagisa a quick poke in the ribs. "You're it!"

A game of underwater tag quickly began, lasting far longer than it should have before the boys finally went back to practicing their strokes. I climbed out after a few more laps to help Gou go over her notes for training. It looks like there was a joint practice come up with another school, so they wouldn't be here that day.

"You can use the pool if you want, even if we won't be here. Just clean up after yourself," Gou told me, a smile on her face.

"Actually, is it ok if I come with you guys and watch the practice?" I asked, glancing at Rei as I fought off the heat that wanted to rush to my cheeks.

"Hmmm... Okay, I don't see a problem with that!" She exclaimed, a mischivous grin spreading across her face. I felt a chill of fear down my spine.

* * *

Samezuka's swim team had some really odd members... And why did Gou's brother have teeth like that?! That's not normal, I tell you! But at least I would get to see Rei, I mean the boys, practice swim today. Although it was really hard to hold back with all that cool, clear water right in front of me. I nearly jumped when I felt a warm hand on my arm, holding me back from jumping into the pool. I hadn't even realized how close I had gotten.

"Sorry but you can't enter the pool during practice here," Rei's calm voice washed over me. "This isn't our pool, the rules are more strict here."

My cheeks felt hot at hearing the words 'our pool', making it sound like I was part of their team. even though I was sure that wasn't how he meant it. I'm sure to them, to him, I was just some girl that had a strange affection for water. But at least they accepted me, likely due to having already known and dealt with Haru for so long. I was really so lucky to have met them that day I first swam in their pool.

Turning around, I moved back to the bench and sat down, a soft smile playing across my lips at the fond memories replaying in my head. Once again missing a blush spread across Rei's cheeks.

* * *

Waaa! What perfect dives! And their strokes! Amazing!! I could barely sit still as one after another dove into the water, competing to get to the end and back first. I didn't even realize how fast my leg was bouncing until I felt a hand grabbing it in an attempt to still its motion. Blinking, I looked over to see Nagisa laughing at me.

"Don't worry, I'm sure once practice is over they won't if you join us for a while in the pool!" I could still hear the laughter in his voice as he talked to me. I don't think my cheeks could get any hotter than this without catching fire.

"Nagisa, it is not polite to manhandle girls like that," Rei stated, a tint of pink on his face as he looked pointedly at the hand still on my leg.

"Sorry, not sorry!" Nagisa yelled, pulling his hand away with a grin that pretty much said just how not sorry he was. Rei just frowned at him before turning back in time to watch Haru dive into the pool.

"He really does have a beautiful dive," I sighed, wishing I could be the one sliding into the water instead. It looked like he was really enjoying himself, even if his face never really changed expression. You could feel the happiness radiating from him like waves in the ocean.

"Yeah, but I prefer watching your dives," I barely caught Rei's mumbled sentence next to me, causing my head to whip in his direction. My face turned red as I met his shocked eyes, a similar blush spreading across his face. I don't think he meant for me to hear him say that.

"Y-you like w-watching me dive?" My voice stuttered and squeeked at odd times. I could feel my face turning even redder than it already was. I blinked at him as he leaned down, his face positioned next to my ear.

"I like you...," he whispered, warm breath ghosting across my ear.

"I like you too, Rei," I said quietly before turning my head to place a quick kiss on his cheek. I could hear Nagisa and Gou both laughing beside us as Rei moved to sit on the opposite side of me from them. I smiled happily at him as I felt his fingers wrap around my hand gently.

But just a few minutes later, even his grip on my hand couldn't stop me from stripping down to my swimsuit and diving into the water. Although, it only took him a minute of staring at his empty hand before he dove in after me, surfacing next to me. I smiled at him and gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

"You're it!" I shouted as he turned red all the way to the tips of his ears. In a quieter voice I told him, "You'll always be it."

For the rest of the day, he couldn't seem to wipe the smile off his face.