Undertaker (Black Butler) - Payment

I crouched down beside the wall, praying I wouldn't be caught as I shifted my weight to my left foot and carefully lifted my right, quietly creeping towards the door that led inside. Going slow in an attempt to ensure silence, I inched the door open and entered before shutting it behind me, looking around to see if anyone was in sight. Not a living soul to be seen, not that it was too much of a shock.

Taking my shoes off, I made my way silently about the room, freezing whenever one of the old floorboards would creak and waiting to be pounced upon. When nothing happened, I would breath a quiet breath of relief and move on. I knew that my luck could run out at any moment but I refused to give up so easily.

I almost felt my heart drop when someone knocked on the front door, pulling my shoes to my chest and rushing forward to hide within one of the coffins that had been laying open, closing the lid after I laid down inside. It was just in time, judging by the sound of the door opening soon after.

--------

I wish I could have heard what the guy had done to get such a loud laugh, but I couldn't help the minor twinge of envy I felt. How many times had I tried to get that kind of laughter from the stubborn man. Of course, I was too distracted to really listen since I had been worried that they would open my hiding place, having heard my target sit down upon the coffin I was within.

I was almost sure the man could hear my heart skip a beat before racing forward as I heard him start tapping his fingernails against the lid, like he was playing with me. It was only my own fear of what he would do to me, that kept me from pushing the lid off, even with him atop it, and rushing out of the building.

After the door closed for the last time as the final person left, I waited for the lid to open. When nothing happened, I began thinking maybe I would get away after all, my heart finally slowing down a little. When I heard Undertaker sit down on the coffin I was in, my heart sank all over again as I listened to his muffled voice talking to me.

"So (y/n), you thought you would be able to succeed today? How many times does this make that you have tried to get away with this and been caught? How many more times are you going to try and fail before you finally give up?" His singsong lilt gave me shivers as I listened to his words, barely able to snake my arms up my body to wipe the tears that had started trying to escape my eyes.

"I'll never give up! Not until I either win or you stick me in a coffin of my own!" I cried out to him as I sniffled into my shirt sleeve, feeling my heart break a little that he thought my attempts to be worth joking over.

"Oh? Really? Does it mean that much to you to win this little game of yours?" His voice became clearer as he got up and opened the lid, the light from the room so bright compared to the complete darkness I had been cocooned within that I had to shut my eyes.

"It's not a game! You said I couldn't have one until I was able to capture you and so capture you I will! I refuse to give up! I won't give up and I will get one, even if it kills me!" I froze when I felt his fingers pressed against my lips.

"Does it really matter that much to you, that you would give up your life just to get one? Really?" Keeping my eyes shut, I nodded and blushed as I felt my cheeks growing warm at the feeling of his cool fingers touching my lips like I was kissing them.

"It would be worth my life for one, yes. Even just one is worth whatever future I might have had, had I gone without it." My lips brushed against his fingers as I spoke, causing my heart to speed up and my breath to catch, but my voice was confident and my words spoken without a trace of doubt.

"Hmmm, how interesting. Very well, in exchange for your future I shall grant you what you desire to have. But remember, after this your life is mine to do with as I want." My eyes shot open just in time to see his smirk as he pulled back his hair, leaning forward to replace his cool fingers with his soft lips.

--------

"I must ask, my dear (y/n), was it worth the price you've paid for that one kiss?" His lilting voice asked me as that crooked grin appeared on his mostly hidden face.

"It was, my darling Undertaker. It was and it always will be. I'll gladly pay that price every day, if it means I get to feel your lips on mine again." I smiled as I watched him lean towards me once more, his eyes peeking through his hair as it shifted to the side just before his lips met mine once more.

"I accept your payment."