Chapter 1

"Can I have a triple espresso please?" Rory Gilmore asked as she stepped up to the counter at her favorite coffee shop. It was a Thursday morning, and she had taken a quick break from work to run down the street to grab coffee with her friend Jill. "Thank you!" Rory smiled, retrieving her credit card from the barista, pocketing it as she took a step back so Jill could place her own order.

"May I have a non fat soy late with extra cream and Splenda please?" Jill ordered.

"Jill, that sounds like so much less fun." Rory chuckled.

"Yeah well, not all of us can stuff our faces full of junk and never gain a single ounce." Jill retorted sarcastically.

"It's not my fault! I swear, I get it from my mother. She refers to it as 'The Lorelai Paradox'. I've been trying to gain weight, for years! It's not like I spend all my time working out or something. I literally just work, eat, and drink coffee, and yet somehow nothing ever happens. I've given up trying to understand it."

"You are so lucky, Rory! You are gorgeous no matter what you do. In fact, that hot guy over there with the scruffy face looks like he's undressing you with his eyes right now."

"Jill, don't be ridiculous!" Rory laughed, taking her coffee from the barista that had once again approached the counter, holding their drinks. "Thank you so much! Have a great day!"

"Thank you!" Jill echoed.

"Come on, let's get back to the office before Felicia notices that we're gone."

"I wouldn't worry about Felicia noticing anything. She is in a publishers meeting. It'll be hours before anyone in that conference room gets a break."

"Geez, I do NOT envy her at all right now! Her salary, and her wardrobe, maybe. But definitely not her job on days like today." Rory laughed as the girls both headed toward the door, not noticing that the hot guy Jill had spotted sitting at a table across the coffee shop, had gotten up and begun to follow them out.

"Well well well, if it isn't Rory Gilmore!" the man started, stopping both girls dead in their tracks. The girls quickly shot each other a questioning look, before Jill shrugged, and they began to turn around.

"Logan?!" Rory asked.

"Hey Ace." Logan said with that handsome crooked smile that Rory knew so well.

"Oh my gosh! Logan Huntzberger, as I live and breathe!" Rory said in a shocked, yet excited voice. "I haven't seen you in forever! How are you?!"

"I'm doing good. How are you?"

"I'm wonderful! Logan, this is my friend Jill. We work together at the New York Times."

"Hi Jill, it's a pleasure to meet you." Logan smiled, holding his hand out toward Rory's still baffled friend.