Chapter 85

May 3, 2017

9:00am

Columbia Presbyterian Hospital

New York City, NY

"Are you ready for this?" Logan asked as he wiped down the back of Rory's hand with an alcohol wipe.

"Why are you putting the IV in my hand instead of the inside of my elbow?" Rory asked.

"Because it makes it easier for you to hold the baby. If the IV is in your elbow, you have limited mobility, and it's harder for you to get comfortable, and acclimated once the baby is born. It hurts a little bit more, going in, but we should be able to pull it shortly after you deliver Ayribella. And you'll be getting all kinds of good drugs, so you honestly won't even feel it after a while. You will probably completely forget that it's there."

"I guess that makes sense."

"You guess?"

"No, it does make sense. Thank you for actually taking the time to explain it to me rather than just doing it like most nurses would."

"It's not like I have anything else to do. I have all the time in the world. You are my entire focus right now. My world revolves fully around you. Are you ready?"

"About as ready as I'll ever be."

"Ok. . . Let's do this. Don't look at your hand, ok? Just focus on me. Or on the wall behind me."

"Do you want my help?" Lorelai asked.

"Sure." Logan answered, picking up a thermometer looking thing off the table next to him, and aiming it at Rory's hand.

"What's that?"

"It's a vein finder. Do you want to help?"

"Can I play with pretty laser light?" she asked, seeing the beam on Rory's hand, showing the veins running through it.

"As long as you keep this aimed right at Rory's hand so I can see what I'm doing." Logan said as he handed the tool to Lorelai. "Just push the button, and keep it aimed on Rory's hand."

"Hey, this is pretty cool! Can I play with this when you are done?"

"Until Paris catches you."

"I want one! Do you know how much fun this would be to freak people out with?!"

"I'm not sure if you can get one without a medical license."

"Do you have one of these at home?"

"Not at home, but I have a couple of them in my office."