Chapter 91

May 3, 2017

7:00pm

ColumbiaPresbyterian Hospital

New York  City, New York

"You better not screw this up. I've been used as your personal pincushion far too many times. I'm not so sure that I trust you to start my IV." Honor said as she watched her brother sanitize her arm, preparing her for an IV.

"Really Honor? Really?!" Logan asked, without looking up, completely focused on the task in front of him.

"You would think that in the last 9 years, you would have actually learned how to start an IV correctly."

"Don't be mean to me. I started Rory's IV this morning, and she's been perfectly fine. In fact, I think I've started her last 5 IVs."

"Probably because it took you 5 tries to get it right."

"Wow, I like hostile Honor!" Paris smirked, as she watched over Logan's shoulder.

"You better move Paris, you're in elbowing territory." Logan warned her.

"Paris, why are you trusting my jerk little brother to do this?"

"Would you rather have Paris do it? Because she's not nearly as gentle as I am. And she insists on using bigger needles."

"Logan likes using child size needles. They go well with his grubby child hands." Paris commented.

"Fine, you know what? I can quit right now, and walk away leaving you in the hands of someone who is way meaner and rougher than I am, not to mention, far less qualified."

"Like who?!"

"A brand new nurse, fresh out of school who has only ever practiced on a dummy."

"Please, like this hospital would ever hire one of those."

"I'm sure I can call down to the ER and find one."

"Maybe one of the nurses down there can teach you how to do this properly."

"Seriously Paris? Can we please go back to you being nice to me? I know why my sister is picking on me, but I don't need to get crap from you too." Logan told her.

"I could have been done by now."

"I could have done this in under 30 seconds if I needed to, but this is my sister, who I actually care about, and don't want to just jab a needle in her arm, and not actually care that it's done properly and with minimal trauma to her."

"You can really do it that fast now?" Honor asked.

"If I need to, yes. I've done it in under 20 seconds from start to finish in the ER. But when it's not an emergency, and I actually care about the patient getting the needle jabbed in their arm, I tend to go slower and be gentler. Would you like me to just shove the needle in your arm, and call it a day?"

"Not really, but I would like to see how fast you can do it."

"Well I just did it so fast that you didn't even realize that I'm already done. Paris, whatever blood draw you want me to do for you, I need vials for."

"Who said that we're drawing blood?" Paris asked.

"Hospitalp rotocol and my medical degree both say that we're drawing blood to test for infection, dehydration, anemia, extra proteins, or anything else that would have caused my sister's blood pressure to spike."