Chapter 48

"Hello, welcome to Columbia Presbyterian. How can I help you?" a nurse asked as Lorelai approached the registration desk in the emergency room.

"Hi, I'm looking for Doctor Huntzberger."

"I'm sorry Ma'am, but Doctor Huntzberger is with a patient."

"Yes, I know he is. I'm his mother. Would you please let him know that I'm here?"

"You're his mother?" the nurse asked, looking at Lorelai strangely.

"Well, mother in-law. He's married to my daughter. She's a patient here."

"Just one moment, let me find her. First name?"

"Lorelai. I'm not sure if you have her under Lorelai Gilmore or Lorelai Huntzberger."

"And what is your name, Ma'am?"

"Lorelai Gilmore."

"We do have Lorelai Huntzberger. Room twenty three, and it looks like you are on the list. Go ahead and head through the doors behind me, make a right at the nurses station, and the room will be on your left."

"Thank you so much!" Lorelai said in a sing song voice, then headed through the doors to find her family. "Good grief you people have tight security here. I ask for Doctor Huntzberger at the desk, and without even thinking about it, they tell me that you're with a patient."

"Well technically that's true." Logan chuckled.

"Then I tell the girl that I'm your mother, and she gives me this look, like I have got to be joking or something."

"We don't exactly look alike."

"I had to explain who I was, and apparently I'm on some list."

"Sorry, it comes with the Huntzberger name. No one knows that we're here, that I know of. But being who we are, if the media found out, they'd probably be all over us. Rory and I have kept a pretty low profile lately. But you've seen how bad it can get. I'm sure that once we have to make an appearance at some event, and they realize that Rory is pregnant, life will start to really suck again for a while."

"And I'm guessing that not showing up to events is completely out of the question?"

"Pretty much. We've managed to keep things pretty quiet with only close family and friends knowing until recently. But things will be changing very soon."

"How soon?"

"Too soon."

"How soon is too soon?"

"Well, under normal circumstances, I would have said tomorrow night, but there is no way we are going to Finn's party with Rory feeling this miserable. The Morgan annual New Year's Eve bash is a pretty well-known event around here. Honor will probably have to go in our place. I'm going to talk to her about it when I run home. You can definitely go with her, if you want to."