Chapter 10

8pm

Columbia Presbyterian Hospital

New York City, New York

"What kind of favor?" Rory asked as she sat down on the couch in Logan's office, next to where Logan had just collapsed in exhaustion.

"It's a really big one. And I know you, your first instinct is going to be to say no, absolutely not. But I need you to really hear me out on this one. It's important, and I think it is a great opportunity for both of us."

"Ok, you've piqued my interest . . ."

"I need you to take an extended leave of absence from work, and takeover HPG."

"What!?!"

"I know this isn't what you wanted. You hate HPG, and want nothing todo with them, I know. And I normally would never ask this of you, in a million years. But you're YOU, Rory. I need someone to take over for my Dad, and I have zero interest or desire to do it. Plus, the hospital needs me, and I can't take myself away from here for that long. I need someone at HPG that I can trust to run things while my Dad is recovering, and I don't trust anyone there to do a good job, and not shove a knife in my back. It wouldn't be forever, and I'll be right there to help you. Any time I'm not here at the hospital, I'll be right there in the office with you. And I'll be there for every board meeting. I won't let anyone hurt you. I just really need you to take over for my Dad. It is such a great opportunity for you. You know how prestigious HPG is. I know you have an amazing job at the Times, that you love, and you've worked your ass off for it. And I would never ask you to give that up. But you've been taking time off for your injury anyway. Just think of this as more time off, with much better pay. And then when my Dad is able to comeback, you'll still have the Times to go back to. Or, if you decide that you actually do like HPG, you can have any position you want with the company. I'm sure I can wrangle it so that you are the one taking over for Dad when he eventually retires, like I was originally supposed to before I walked away. I know that you like to earn things, and you don't like anything handed to you. But this is literally the offer of a lifetime, and I really think that you should take it. If anything, running HPG will look amazing on your resume, and you can literally go walk into any newspaper, anywhere in the world when you are done, and be begged to run the place. I really think that this is good idea. I would never ask you to join the family company unless it's what you really wanted, but this is your chance to stick it to my entire family. Every single one of them who has ever thought that you weren't 'good enough'. This is your chance to step in as their boss, and show them all who you really are."

"I don't know Logan . . . That is a lot to taken on."

"I know it is. But I will be right there with you. I'm going to put in for a couple weeks of emergency family leave right now. We need to jump on this immediately, before the board finds out that Dad had a heart attack, and has the chance to start planning his removal. Please, will you do this for me?"

"You'll really be there with me? You hate that place!"

"I know. Trust me, I want nothing to do with HPG just as much as you don't. But in all honesty, this is our chance to secure our future. Dad still has it in his head that someday I'll grow up, and get over this whole doctor thing, and go running right back to the family business. There isn't a chance in hell of that happening. But if you want to, when Dad retires, you can take over! This is the perfect chance for you to jump in and show everybody what you are made of. You are the perfect person to take over the company if you want to. Dad wants the company to stay in the family, and you taking over does that."