Chapter 79

"Hey, how was your trip?" Emily asked, walking into Rory's bedroom Wednesday evening, to check on her granddaughter.

"It was amazing!" Rory smiled.  "It was exactly what I needed.  I have pictures if you'd like to see them."

"I would love to!"

"It was so great Grandma!  Have you been to the Statue of Liberty before?"

"Not for a very long time." Emily answered as she sat down next to Rory on the bed.

"You should go with us next time.  We want to go back after Ayribella is born, and hike the stairs up to the crown.  Because I was wheelchair bound, we could only go up to the pedestal observation deck.  But the city looked so pretty even from just that high up.  I can only imagine what the view is like from the very top."

"I've never been to the very top either."

"You definitely need to go with us then.  It was so great to be out in the sun today.  The weather was completely perfect!  Just being out there felt wonderful!  It was perfectly warm with a nice breeze.  It just felt good to be outside." Rory told her, smiling at the memory of standing outside on observation deck of the Statue of Liberty, looking out over the water toward New York city.  The sun had been shining brightly in the sky, and it had been a beautiful spring day. After being stuck on bed rest for weeks, it had felt so relaxing to be outside in the fresh air.  Rory had enjoyed watching her sisters take in the sights of New York, snapping pictures throughout their adventure.  She was having a great time hanging out with them during spring break.  Sister time was exactly what she needed.  Growing up as an only child, Rory had no idea what it was like to have someone there with her who actually understood her life, other than Logan. Having a sister to hang out with and talk to was all new to her, but she was really enjoying it.  She was finally beginning to understand the bond that Logan had with his own sister.

"Where all did you go today?"

"We started the day with a visit to Paris to check on the baby, then went to brunch in the city at this amazing French bistro.  The food was so good!  Then we went over to the 9/11 museum for a while, which was really nice."

"Was it uncomfortable for you at all?  When your Grandfather and I went,it was just a little bit uncomfortable.  Like this eerie unsettling feeling.  You know that you are perfectly safe, but it just has a way of bringing you back to that day, and how rattling it was."

"Yes! That is exactly what it was like!  I couldn't figure out what that odd feeling was that I was feeling.  I mentioned it to Logan, and we just couldn't pin point it.  It was just strange.  But that is exactly what it was.  It just took you right back to that moment."

"That was such an odd day.  Your grandfather was supposed to head out on business that morning, but then his flight was canceled, and he came back home."

"I never knew that."

"Had he been on an earlier flight, he would have been stranded out of town for several days.  One of the men in his office was stranded in Nebraska for over a week because he couldn't get a flight back home,and all the car rentals were taken.  His wife finally had to drive out to pick him up, and drive him back home."

"Wow, that's crazy!"

"Richard knew a man on the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania.  It was very devastating."

"I had no idea."

"He doesn't like to talk about it.  They weren't close, but it was a still a tough loss."