Chapter 20

"Hey Mom, can I ask you a question?" Rory asked having finally tracked her mother down at the party.

"What's up?" Lorelai asked. "Are you having a good time?"

"Yeah, of course I am! Thank you so much for this! But question; did you by any chance invite Paris and Doyle? Because they seem to be missing."

"Um, let's see . . . Did I invite my daughter's best friend to her birthday party . . . Uh, yeah, I believe that I did. I talked to them yesterday. They should be here. Why do you ask?"

"Well because Logan and I were just talking to Collin and giving him an update on things. And he happened to point out that we have less than 48 hours before certain court records become public."

"What court records?"

"The ones in St. Croix. And that if there is anyone else that we don't want finding out from the circus, we might want to tell now."

"Hold on a second, let Mommy catch up . . . The circus is getting court records from St. Croix?"

"Mom, really?!" Rory said impatiently. "The wedding." she finally whispered in Lorelai's ear.

"Oh!!! I'm sorry Honey, there is so much going on right now that I'm having a little trouble keeping up here."

"We need to tell Paris and Doyle, and they aren't here."

"Have you tried calling them?"

"Not yet. I wanted to ask you if they were invited before I call, just in case they don't know about the party."

"Oh, they know about the party for sure. I talked to Paris about it yesterday, and got a nice lecture about last minute invites."

"Well I didn't know, so I needed to check. So now the question is where is a nice quiet place that I can make a phone call?"

"Come with me." Lorelai said waving for Rory to follow her. "Hey Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"Honey, can Rory borrow your diner keys?"

"What's going on?"

"She needs a quiet place to make a phone call."

"Sure, of course. Here you go Rory. Just make sure to lock up when you're done." Luke said, pulling the keys out of his pocket, and handing them to his daughter.

"Thanks Luke! I'm gonna go grab Logan."

"What's going on?" Luke asked once Rory was gone.

"Paris and Doyle aren't here, and Rory needs to tell them about St. Croix before word gets out."