Chapter 100

30 minutes later

Huntzberger Publishing Group

"I'm guessing that everything is electronic now, but your Dad isn't that smart. There have to be some kind of paper records somewhere. At least some kind of personnel files. In order for Walker to receive a payroll check, we would have to have a W-4 form on file for her." Rory said as they walked into the payroll office.

"Unless my Dad pays her illegally, and her checks are cut as a monthly payment thing, rather than payroll." Logan told her.

"Ok, so we check payroll and accounting. You realize that if we find something, we could legally put your Dad in prison for fraud, right?"

"And you think that I actually care? I'm so annoyed with my Dad right now, that I would hand deliver the evidence to the district attorney myself, and never feel bad about it."

"It almost makes me want to fire every single employee of this company, and start completely over."

"Well, here is something else that we can do. We can scrub all the payroll files, and force all current employees to submit a new W-4 in order to receive their next paycheck. And anyone who doesn't submit the paperwork, doesn't get paid. That automatically eliminates anyone who is secretly being paid without our knowledge. We then take the current employee payee list and compare it to the past lists, and see where the differences are."

"Let's do it! But what you said before, about your Dad cutting monthly checks, that does sound like something that he would do."

"Exactly! So maybe we scrub the accounting files too. We need current invoices for all checks being issued, or no one gets paid."

"I wonder if your Dad has one of the department employees in his pocket? Someone who knows exactly what is going on, and just does whatever Mitchum tells him to."

"I wouldn't be surprised."

"Let's have a surprise meeting at 8:30 Monday morning for both the payroll and accounting department."

"You are going to have a meeting?"

"I'm going to have to have a meeting."

"You are going to come here, to a building full of employees, on Monday morning?"

"Good point . . . You, Grandpa and Collin are going to come here. I'll be in my home office, on facetime."

"That works. Do you want me to send out an email today about the W-4changes?"

"I think that legally, we need to talk to Collin about it before we do it."

"I'm calling Collin to come down here. We could use his help digging."