Chapter 18

Saturday October 8, 2016

3:00pm

Hartford, Connecticut

"Hey Mom, it's me! I just called to let you know that we are on our way. We should be there within the next hour. I'm not sure why I am leaving a message on your voicemail, so I'll shoot you a text. See you soon." Rory said, then disconnected the call.

"Wow, your mom really didn't answer?"

"It's weird, right?!"

"She's probably just busy. You know how your mom gets when she's up against a deadline. I'm sure she's rushing to put all the finishing touches on whatever party she has planned for you."

"Probably." Rory agreed. "How soon do you think we should tell her?"

"I think she might notice the rings pretty quick, so right away might be the best idea."

"That is exactly what I was thinking. I just need her to answer the phone."

"Have you tried Luke?" Logan asked.

"That's a good idea. Luke always knows how to track down Mom." Rory said, quickly dialing Luke's cell number.

"This is Luke!" Luke's gruff voice came through the phone.

"Hey Luke, it's Rory."

"Hey Rory! Happy Birthday!"

"Thank you! Hey, we are on our way to meet you guys for dinner, but I can't get a hold of Mom. Is she with you?"

"She's not, but I can go track her down for you, if you need me to."

"I don't want to ruin the surprise that I'm sure mom has planned for me, but we have some news that we need to share with you, and it's kind of important."

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah ,of course! It's just something that we need to tell you, and it wouldn't be appropriate to do with an audience."

"Gotcha. . . I don't want to ruin anything either, so why don't you come into town the back way, and meet us at the house. I'll go find your mother, and head home right now."

"Thank you Luke! We really appreciate it!"

"No problem Rory. We'll see you soon." Luke said, then disconnected the call.

"Hey, it's going to be ok." Logan said, reaching for Rory's hand. "I know you're nervous. But she can't really be upset with us when your mother did the exact same thing."

"I know. I'll just feel better once she knows." Rory told him.