Chapter 70

"Ace, before we go into my Dad's office, I want to talk to you." Logan said as they headed out of the kitchen.

"What's up?"

"Come here. I don't want to talk near anyone." Logan said, leading Rory down a long hallway, then opening a door at the far end.

"Where are we?"

"This used to be my grandpa's office. I don't think anyone has been in here since he died."

"It's been what, like 8 or 10 years?"

"Something like that."

"An dno one has been in here since then? That's crazy!"

"That's Huntzberger." Logan said, rolling his eyes. "Anyway, we need to talk."

"What's going on?"

"I just want to be sure that we're ok. It's sounding like things could start to get really ugly for us with that psycho IA lady wanting to dig into our past. I have nothing to hide. If I did, the medical board would have found it already, and rejected my license application. And I know that you don't have anything to hide either. I'm not worried about any of that at all. But I am worried about us. You and I. This relationship. We've been through a lot. But I also know that it wasn't easy for you earlier, having the whole bridesmaids thing brought up. I know that it was a really long time ago, and that we've gotten past it, but that still doesn't make having to hear or talk about it any easier. We have a lot going on right now, and we definitely have some big challenges ahead of us. But at the end of the day, this is our relationship, and whatever happens, I need to know where we stand. I'm in this. You know that I am. I asked you to marry me 9 years ago, and I would have married you even before that if I thought that you would have been ok with it. I'm not going to back down and not fight to make things better for us. But if this is all too much for you, I need to know right now."

"Baby, you didn't do anything wrong. You didn't ask for any of this bullshit. If this ridiculous investigation isn't fair to someone, it's you. I'm not even really a part of this. It's you that woman is after. I'm just the person she's hurting by extension."

"I know, but you don't deserve this crap either."

"This is all so ridiculous. Why would she come after you like this? Did you sleep with her and piss her off or something?"

"Never! I've never seen her before, in my entire life. I had just met her at 4am yesterday when we were introduced in the hallway outside your room. I don't even know her last name. I only know that she goes by Patrice."

"Why would she be after you like this then?"

"I honestly wish that I knew. At least then maybe some of this crap would start to make sense."

"Paris said that the hospital board knows you and that they don't support this investigation."

"It's the internal affairs office having a vendetta."