Chapter 7

"Can I help you?" the lady at the desk asked without looking up from her computer when Rory stepped up to the admitting desk at the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital Emergency Room just after 7pm.

"Would you mind paging Doctor Huntzberger for me?"

"He's with patients."

"Yes I understand. I have his dinner. Would you please page him for me?"

"You can leave it here. I'll have someone get it to him when they have a minute."

"Look, I'm sorry to bother you, but could you please just page him for me?" Rory asked again.

"Ma'am, I already told you that Doctor Huntzberger is busy with patients." the lady snapped, finally looking up at Rory.

"Fine. I'll just call him myself." Rory said pulling her cell phone from her pocket and stepping a few feet away from the desk.

"Hey Ace, is everything ok?" Logan asked, answering right away.

"Hey, I'm standing at the admitting desk with some dinner for you, but somebody is being awfully rude and snapping at me, refusing to page you." Rory said glaring back at the lady at the desk who just rolled her eyes.

"I'll be right there." Logan said motioning for a nurse. A moment later the admitting doors opened and Logan walked out with a nurse behind him. "Grace, please take over the desk. Brenda, meet me in my office." Logan said strongly, then walked over to Rory. "I'm so sorry about that. It'll never happen again."

"It's fine. She obviously doesn't know who she's dealing with. I could have gone full on Emily Gilmore on her.

"Yeah, well, I'm about to." Logan said rolling his eyes.

"Now that is something that I would LOVE to watch!"

"That's not a side of me that I like you seeing."

"Logan, I've seen it before."

"I know you have. But I don't like being that person around you."

"Luke made burgers and fries." Rory said changing the subject, and holding a bag of food out for Logan to take.

"Score!"

"And he threw in a salad for you, and a slice of cherry pie."

"Please tell him thank you for me."

"He's right outside in the car if you want to tell him yourself. Mom and Luke drove me over."

"Let's go." Logan told agreed as Rory turned and headed toward the sliding glass doors. "Hey Luke, Lorelai!" Logan said as the passenger side window of the Dragonfly SUV were lowered to reveal Rory's parents. "Thank you guys so much for the food. I can't wait to dig into it!"