Chapter 87

May 3, 2017

12:00pm

Columbia Presbyterian Hospital

New York City, NY

"Mrs. Huntzberger?" a voice said as the door to Rory's room was pushed open seconds after a knock was heard.

"Doctor Brewster, please join us." Paris answered, welcoming the newcomer.

"Doctor Gellar. It's nice to see you again. I'm not usually here at the same as you. Is it already too late for the patient's epidural?"

"No, not at all. Rory is an old friend of mine. I took the day off to be with her."

"Ah. . . Doctor Huntzberger . . . Are you working L&D today?" Doctor Brewster asked.

"I guess, in a way. Just not being paid for it." Logan answered with a chuckle.

"Oh, you're being paid for it alright. You're being paid in the form of your daughter." Lorelai spoke up.

"Lorelai has a point." Paris agreed.

"Doctor Brewster, this is my mother in-law, Lorelai, and my wife, Rory." Logan said, introducing his family.

"Hi Lorelai, it's nice to meet you. I'm doctor Brewster." the doctor smiled, shaking Lorelai's hand.

"It's a pleasure." Lorelai smiled in return.

"Mrs. Huntzberger, I am Doctor Brewster. I am you anesthesiologist this afternoon, and I am here to administer your epidural."

"Thank God!" Rory breathed as she suffered through a contraction.

"I'm sorry, she's usually much more pleasant when meeting people." Logan told him.

"Don't even worry about it. I completely understand. I've been yelled at, and cussed out for taking too long. My own wife yelled at me for not stepping in and giving her the epidural myself, when she had to wait for it. I know exactly what you are going through right now. But don't you worry Mrs. Huntzberger, I won't make you wait a single second longer. As soon as your contraction subsides, we are going to get you moved into position, and quickly get you prepared so we can get you some relief."

"Just keep breathing through it. It's almost over." Paris instructed.

"Kimber, Jamila, would you mind helping me please?" Doctor Brewster asked as he moved back toward the door, and pulling a metal rolling cart into the room.

"Of course Doctor Brewster." Nurse Kimber answered.

"Mrs. Huntzberger, we need to move you into position for your epidural." Jamila said as the two nurses moved toward Rory's bed. "It looks like your contraction has subsided, so let's get you situated before the next one hits. Can you sit up for me? We are going to move you to the edge of the bed, and have your swing your legs over the left side."