Chapter 62

"Hey Grandma, Grandpa, do you have a minute?" Rory asked as she joined her grandparents in the dining room for breakfast.

"For you my dear, we have all the time in the world." Richard told her.

"That was such a fun party last night, wasn't it Richard?" Emily asked as Rory sat down next to her at the table.

"It was. It was a great idea to throw a doctor party for Logan's birthday." Richard agreed.

"That was all Honor actually. I had very little to do with it."

"Oh really? I thought for sure you were the architect of that event. It seemed like it was your style."

"She bounced ideas off me, but that was it. But anyway, Logan and I were talking a few weeks ago, and we had this idea. Grandpa had mentioned that you guys wanted to be here more when the baby is born, and we love the idea of having you here, but we kind of feel bad because Mom has the suite downstairs for her and Luke, but the bedroom you guys have been staying in doesn't have an attached bath. So Logan and I came up with a solution."

"Where is Logan?" Emily asked.

"He's on the phone in his office, he should be here in a minute. He told me to go ahead and get started without him."

"Alright. . ." Richard prompted.

"So we had this idea to help make the two of you more comfortable while you are here. I know that you were planning to head home this morning, but we were thinking that if you had some extra time, maybe you could come meet with our contractor with us."

"Your contractor?" Emily asked.

"Logan and I decided to build you guys your own apartment. We can either add it to the side of the house, or even build you your own space like a granny flat out in the backyard, whichever you would prefer. We actually just got building permits to do both things, thinking that the city would only approve one of them, so we thought we would let you choose where you would like your New York apartment to be."

"Rory, this is all very sweet, but completely unnecessary." Emily told her.

"I know Grandma, but we want to do this for you. You guys were talking about getting an apartment in the city anyway, so why not just stay here with us? You'll have your own place right next to ours, with your own private entrance. And because we are building it, you can choose whatever you want put in it, whether it's a special toilet, or some kind of fancy faucets. Whatever you want, we'll do. And if you choose to do the house addition rather than the flat in the backyard ,we can give you both a private outside entrance of your own, as well as a door to go between your apartment and our house without you having to even step outside. You'll of course be welcome in the main house whenever you want, we would never lock the door unless you wanted it locked, and you would of course never have to stay in the apartment, at all, you would have full access to us whenever you want it. We just thought that it might be nice to give you your own space to come and go as you wish, without having to ask us if it's ok to visit.