Chapter 112

Columbia Presbyterian Hospital

May 22, 2017

9:30pm

"Logan, what are you still doing here?" Paris asked she walked into the Labor and Delivery unit.

"I'm working here tonight. Apparently there is a nurse shortage everywhere tonight, and you only have 2 nurses."

"Wait, what?"

"I was told a lot of the staff is in Philadelphia for training."

"Are you serious?!"

"I take it you weren't told anything about it?"

"I know about the training, but they only left me with two nurses?"

"That's what I said. But don't worry, Veronica is on her way, and Bianca is coming in too. I've also got Doctor Greenlee heading in to assist in the ER, and he said he'll come help out up here too, if we need it."

"This is ridiculous!"

"I know."

"I usually have 8-12 nurses! What the hell were they thinking?!"

"I have no idea, but you've got me, Maddie and Caroline right now, and Veronica and Bianca should be here soon."

"I can't believe that they did this to me!"

"Hey, let's just look at it this way, it's a good thing that you trained me, right? That way you at least know that I'm competent enough to take care of your patients."

"Why are you trying to butter me up, Logan? I'm still irritated with you, you know?"

"Like that is anything new. I'm at your disposal tonight, as long as you don't expect me to go anywhere near my sister's legs."

"That's just gross!"

"There are 8 patients up here tonight. Doctor Jolley is here, and Maddie said that Doctor Malcom is on call."

"Ok, so what's going on with all the patients? Are they all waiting todeliver?"

"For the most part. Honor is dilated to a 4. One of the others is an 8, so she'll be delivering first. The others are lower priority. They canceled the one induction that was scheduled due to the nurse shortage."

"Thank God! That would be completely irresponsible to add an induction on a night where we are short staffed. How is Honor doing? Is she alright?"

"Yeah, she's hanging out, watching tv. Josh just got here. The woman in room 6 needs her dilation checked again. Do you want to do that?"