Chapter 116

Columbia Presbyterian Hospital

New York City, New York

May 31, 2017

"Mr. and Mrs. Mariano, your test results should be in shortly." a nurse said, as she came into Jess' hospital room.

"I'm not his wife." Rory spoke up.

"We are just really close friends." Jess added.

"I am so sorry, I just saw the ring, and thought the two of you were married. You look like a very happy couple." the nurse apologized.

"She's MY wife." a loud voice said from the doorway, causing everyone to look up, and the nurse to turn around.

"Doctor Huntzberger! What are you doing here? I thought you no longer worked in this building."

"Mikayla, would you mind giving me access to this patient's chart, please?"

"No problem, Doctor Huntzberger." the nurse answered, hurrying across the room, toward the computer.

"Logan, what are you doing here?" Rory asked, standing from her chair nex tto Jess' bed, and moving toward her husband as he approached the computer in the corner of the room.

"What do you think I'm doing?" Logan muttered under his breath as the nurse quickly logged into the computer, then stepped aside to allow Logan to take over.

"I thought that you were in the office today."

"I was. But then I got a text from your Dad, asking how his nephew was doing."

"Hey, can we go talk for a minute?" Rory asked, her voice soft as she reached out to touch Logan's arm.

"Doctor Huntzberger, we are still waiting on MRI results." nurse Mikayla told him.

"Jess, where is your pain?" Logan asked.

"My stomach." Jess answered.

"Where? Center? Right side? Left side?"

"Right."

"Severity?"

"It was a 9 when I called Rory."

"We gave him morphine when he got here." Mikayla commented.

"Did anyone do an ultrasound?" Logan asked.

"He went for an MRI about an hour ago."

"Why didn't you do an ultrasound first? Stomach pain on the right side can indicate a ruptured appendix, and not ruling that out first, before ordering longer testing, endangers the patient's life! Get me a portable ultrasound. Who is the attending?"