Wooflan: The Craziest Thing

We were in love. We were, it was an amazing, beautiful, consuming, addictive love. But you see, the key words in those sentences is were.

I was in love. His name is Lachlan Power. He was in love too. We were in love with each other. And hell, I'm still in love with him. But Lachlan Power taught me something. You do crazy things for the people you love. And the craziest thing I ever did was let him go.

I loved -love- everything about him. He is the center of my universe. He is as close to perfect as you could get. The most beautiful shade of golden hair a person could have, piercing cerulean eyes, a bright, toothy smile, and a tall, muscular figure. But that was only on the outside. He has an adorable Australian accent, amazing humor, courage I'll never have, and is smarter than most. And he was mine.

Whenever I was with him, I felt the butterflies in my stomach, and my heart beat faster than normal. I felt sparks in my hand when he held it, and my lips tingled when he kissed me. I was so hopelessly head-over-heals for him, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. That was what love feels like.

Now, this is where things start to spiral downhill. Well, sorta. Neither of us ever said "I love you." Actually, no, we said it once, of our three years together. But that was right before he left.

It was cold, not that that was uncommon in Canada, and that's the main thing I remember from that blur of a night. The cold. He'd called me, the middle of the freezing night, in tears. He tried to show he wasn't crying, but I could tell. He told me he wanted to talk to me, and I told him I'd be right over. But he said no, and that we'd meet at the park down the road from his place. I didn't care where he wanted to go, as long as I could be with him.

That being said, I drove to the park, shivering from the wind, afraid of everything he could say to me. So many terrifying scenarios ran through my mind, each one worst than the last.

Eventually I had left my car and was sprinting through the park, then found him curled up in tears on a bench. Yelling his name, I ran to him and hugged him tight, his arms finding their was around me as well. When I asked what's wrong, he started sobbing harder. I did my best to calm him down, and it partially worked, he stopped crying enough to talk. "W-We c-can't be toge-ther any-more." He stuttered out, and my heart nearly stopped.

I barely remembering be able to talk. I think I'd choked out a "Why?", because he remembered his answer. "I-I'm g-going back to Aus-trailia. And you and I... We j-just be-came too m-much f-for me t-to h-handle... It's not that I-I don't love you, Rob, be-cause I do, I r-really, real-ly do, but-" I kissed him. I couldn't take it, hearing his broken voice and seeing his tear stained cheeks. So I closed my eyes and put my lips on his.

When he pulled away we both had tears sparkling in our eyes, and a sad smile on our lips. "I love you too, Lachlan." I whispered. "I'll never for-get you, R-Robby." He mumbled, hiding his face in my shoulder. "You either, Lachy." I replied, placing a kiss on his head. I knew this was the last time I'd ever see him. I could tell. So when I kissed him again, I made sure it was one he'd always remember and one I'd never forget.

Maybe I should've held on. Maybe I should've fallen to my knees and begged him to stay. Maybe I should've at least done something. But I knew it wouldn't be any use. And if it helped him -with his stress, the move, and just life- than it helped me too. But like I said, you do crazy things for the ones you love. Now though, I can add something to that. You do crazy things for the ones you love, even if it means you aren't happy with the outcome. And applying that to our situation, I realized that letting him go was definitely the craziest thing I'd ever done, and it left me the saddest I've ever been, but I didn't even care. Because that was love.