TBNRCanadian/Pitch: The Only Exception

A/N: I've been meaning to do something with this song forever. But finally here it is XD

+Preston's POV+

My parents. That's where it all started. When I was nine, nine years old, my father cheated on my mother. They were still married and all, but my dad had been having something with another woman for God knows how long.

When I was younger, I saw my daddy cry and curse at the wind. Broke his own heart and I watched as he tried to reassemble it

And once my mom found out, Dad cried about how it was a mistake and he never should've done it and how he loves my mom and my siblings and I. But Mom wasn't fooled.

And my mama swore, she would never let herself forget. And that was the day that I promised, I'd never sing of love if it does not exist

That's when everything went downhill. Growing up from then on, I never had a boyfriend or girlfriend or whatever. I stayed single. I avoided love at all costs. I was afraid. Philophobia is a word I eventually learned; the fear of falling in love. And as sad as it sounds, it was my fear.

Until, the one fateful day, at the very start of my YouTube career, I was introduced to a man I knew as "The Bajan Canadian." But after getting to know him better, I realized he was just Mitchell Hughes, an average twenty year old -at the time- dude, looking to have a good time with his friends. And there was just something about him... Something I still can't place a finger on. Something that made me want to never stop talking to him, let him break through my shield and find out everything about me. Mitch made me want to feel again.

Darling you are the only exception, you are the only exception, you are the only exception, you are the only exception

I realized I had taking a liking to Mitch way to late. I couldn't pull myself away from him, I couldn't stop falling for him.

But you told yourself you wouldn't fall in love! Love isn't worth all the pain and heartbreak you'll endure at one point or another. Love never wins. Love never lasts. Just get away from that guy!

My mind knew it was a bad idea. I'd made it almost ten years without love, pushing through the loneliness. Yeah, sometimes it got to me, but I learned to keep my poker face. I wouldn't break down. I didn't need anyone.

Maybe I know, somewhere, deep in my soul, that love never lasts. And we've got to find other ways to make it alone, or keep a straight face

But Mitch... Oh, sweet, caring, gorgeous Mitch... He was everything I could ever ask for. He was perfect in more ways than one. He was everything.

Maybe... Maybe I didn't need to be alone?

And I've always lived like this, keeping a comfortable distance. And up until now I had sworn to myself that I'm content with loneliness

I think I fell in love.

Because none of it was ever worth the risk, but you are the only exception, you are the only exception, you are the only exception, you are the only exception...

Everything feel into place when Mitch came to visit me for the first time. He came to Texas from Canada, just to see me.

At that point, I was in denial. I didn't love him. He didn't love me. There was nothing that could ever happen. This wasn't a book, this wasn't a movie; he was just my best friend, and nothing more.

Ive got a tight grip on reality

But when he got off that plane and ran straight to me, wrapping me up in a hug, I never wanted him to let go. Or when we were watching a movie at my place and I'd curled up into his side, I was the most content I'd ever been.

But I can't let go of what's in front of me here

On the last night of his stay, we were eating Five Guys at my kitchen table, just talking and bantering about. Even still, he seemed distant, hesitant. "Mitch?" I asked, after a while. "Are you okay? You seem a little out of it." He sighed, looking back at me. I could clearly see the stress, the nerves. "Look, Pres," he started, smiling softly. "I haven't been... Fully honest with you... I'm... I'm gay, and I'm in love."

My heart flew, but then immediately fell. He was in love. With, most likely, someone other than me.

"That's great, Mitch. Truly great. I'm pan, you know that. But who's the lucky guy?" I was trying to be positive, for him, even though my heart was breaking. "It's you, Preston. I'm so madly in love with you." He looked up at me, his hazel eyes meeting my chocolate ones, and I could see it. Every single emotion in his eyes; Fear, hope, happiness, sadness, but most importantly, love. He really loved me.

"Mitch... I love you too."

I know your leaving in the morning when you wake up

I spent the night in his arms. I didn't want him to leave the next morning, and I told him that. "Preston..." I let his forehead rest on mine. "We'll work things out, okay? You'll never be alone, I'm always here for you. Even if I'm in a different country, different continent, different galaxy, I'll love you. No matter what." He promised, holding me tight. I looked up at him with a small smile. "I love you too... This feels like a dream. I never thought I'd fall in love... I never wanted to. I was afraid. But everything is so... Perfect, with you." I rambled, blushing lightly. "Does this feel like a dream?" He asked, as he leaned in and pressed his lips softly to mine.

Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream

I couldn't have been happier with Mitch. I was always smiling. Just the mention of his name made me light up. Just hearing his voice or seeing his face made me love him ever more.

You are, the only exception, you are, the only exception, you are, the only exception, you, are the only exception

Mitch did the impossible. He broke my shield. He made me break the promise to myself. He helped me feel again. He helped me fall in love. He showed me that love was a beautiful thing, and I shouldn't ever have been afraid.

He showed me there was still good in this crazy world.

And I'm on my way to believing... Oh and I'm on my way to believing...