MuncingUniverse: Story Book

Jason sat alone.

Not that this was uncommon or anything, being the prince of Skylox, but today it was really hitting him. Prince Jason wasn't really allowed much freedom, despite his kingdom's people having more rights than any other's. 

The poor prince just wanted to go outside, meet his people, make some friends. The only real friends he had were the nobility of neighboring kingdoms, like Princes Ian and Tucker of Cabelt and Princesses Kara and Shelby of Vida. It wasn't that he didn't like them, because he sure did, but sometimes he needed a break from the crowns.

Right when Jason had found something productive to do, there was a knock at his door. "Prince Jason?" A voice called, recognizably his butler Martin. Jason stood from his oak chair in the corner of the study, walking over to the door and opening it.

Martin was a small boy, with dark hair and darker eyes. He smiled at Jason, before speaking again. "King Adam wishes for you and your brother to meet him in the main hall." Martin's thick Bulgarian accent affected a few of his words, but Jason understood. "Si's not here, Martin, though he's probably in the lounge with Ryan." "Yes, I figured. Thank you, sir." Martin bowed, and turned to go find Cameron. "Wait, Martin?" Jason asked, and the other stopped. "Yes?" "Call me Jason. No 'sir', no 'prince',  no 'your highness'. Just Jason."  The butler smiled, almost shyly. "Okay... Jason." And with that, Martin scurried off to find the younger prince, leaving Jason to wander his way down to his father.

The halls were very quiet. The pictures and portraits of him and his family seemed to loom over him, and he couldn't help feeling small. Jason could sense bad news coming his way.

By the time Jason had meandered his way into the main hall, his brother and father were already waiting. King Adam stood tall, green eyes staring through glasses, back and forth between his two sons. A small smile was etched onto his face, making Jason's gut feeling of bad news die down slightly.

Prince Simon, Jason's younger brother, stood beside the King, his hazel eyes shooting daggers. Nowhere particular, he just looked upset. "What's going on?" Jason finally asked, looking up at his father. "You know we don't have the best relationship with the town to the west, the kingdom of Penguisa, right?" Adam asked. He expected Jason to know, because with him becoming future king, well... he'd need to know. "Of course, father." The older prince answered. "Well, King Ty and I have found a way to work things out." The king smiled, and so did his son. "That's great! What's the deal?" Jason had started to wonder why this was relevant to him and his brother.

"You, Jason, have to marry King Ty and Queen Jocelyn's only daughter, Princess Ashley Marrie."

"What?!" Both Princes exclaimed, clearly unhappy. "That is the deal." Adam said with a small sigh. "But, I don't love her! Sure, she's nice and pretty and whatever, but... I want to marry for love." Jason protested, looking at his father pleadingly. "I'm sorry, Jason, but that's how it has to be."

Suddenly, Simon stormed out of the hall, clearly upset. Jason would deal with that later. "Please, I can't do-" "You can, and you will. You're going to be the king soon, Jason. You need to make sacrifices." Adam cut his son off. "You loved mom, though. You got to marry her." Adam sighed at his son. "Because I wasn't supposed to be King, Jason. Ross was, you know that. He was forced to marry Max, before... Everything happened. You're the oldest, so you have to be King, you've got to marry Ashley Marrie." Adam lectured leaving Jason more upset been than before.

"Fine." Jason said coldly. "For now, it's an agreement." He turned and walked away calmly, but as soon as he was out of his father's sight, he began to sprint. He knew exactly where he was going.

"Seto? Seto, are you in there?" Jason knocked on the door, begging the man he was looking for was in there. He heard slight shuffling from the opposite side of the wall before the door swung open, revealing a smiling Seto.