[65] Requiem

Original: February 3, 2018

July 11, 2018
I have published my angst book, just so you know. I moved my angst drabbles there, and any angst here won't be moved though.
TW: Sorta angsty?

Patton ran to his room, locking himself in and stomped to his bed. Holding the letters of his dear friend Virgil, he took a small peak at them.

Dear Virgil—

No, he couldn't bear to even look at it. It had to be a prank, it had to be. His friend didn't just do what he had done.

Why should I play this game of pretend?

Patton shrugged off the feeling. Virgil didn't mean that much to him. At all. He was just an . . . acquaintance. A very close acquaintance.

Remembering through a second hand sorrow.

Clutching the letter tighter to his chest as humanly as possible, he felt tears well up in his eyes.

Such a great son and wonderful friend.

He wiped them out of frustration. His friend wasn't dead! It's a prank that he had managed to play on the entire school and world. He's probably left Florida in some secret ninja style. These letters were just distractions.

Oh, don't the tears just pour?

He laughed bitterly. Of course Virgil wouldn't tell him anything. He never did tell Patton anything.

I could curl up and hide in my room . . .

Curling up a lot more, he felt tears gather once more. This time, coming out faster and more out of control.

There in my bed, still sobbing tomorrow . . .

Crying out, he tried to cover the fact that he was crying, just in case his parents heard him.

I could give in to all the gloom.

But tell me?

Tell me what for?

Patton questioned himself, why am I even crying? He wasn't that great, was he? Getting up from his bed, he gingerly made it into a sitting position.

Looking for the nearest plushie, he got one that made him smile. It was the one Virgil had won for him when they went to the carnival.

-flashback-

"H-Hey, Patton? Do you want that one?" Virgol pointed to a stall that held one giant teddy bear. Patton's face lightened up.

"Oh my gods, yes! How do we got it, kiddo?"

"Leave that to me," Virgil stated, buying a ticket from there. He smiled at Patton, "Watch this."

First try, he had managed to get the teddy. Patton was the happiest man in the world.

-flashbackend-

His smile slowly grew more genuine as he thought of memories. All of a sudden . . .

Why should I have a heavy heart?

Why should I start to break in pieces?

Why should I go and fall apart for you?

No! Virgil left him alone. Patton's mind and heart were fighting against each other. His logic against his emotions. His intellect against his sentiment over things.

Why should I play the grieving boy and lie?

Saying that I miss you, and that my world has gone dark without your light?

Patton stood up shakily and walked up toward his door, leaving the teddy behind.

I will sing no requiem . . .

Looking back at the teddy, he sneered hatefully at it.

Tonight.