[73] Communication

Original: April 5, 2018

July 11, 2018
I don't know what I was doing here.
TW: Character death/s

You know what they say. Well, it might or might not be a popular saying but it may somehow go like this, "Communication is key."

There are actually many different ways on how to communicate; whether it may come in form of physical, verbal, mental, or spiritual (if you had, anyway), it was still a type of communication.

Virgil was your usual emo kid. Being the son of the gayest of all gay couples, Logan and Patton Sanders, he loved to stay indoors and be stuck in his cozy little room which somehow resembles a tiny apartment minus the kitchen and stuff.

What he actually does behind those doors may haunt those two for the rest of their lives. He actually can talk to ghosts.

Well, one anyway. His name was Roman. It seemed that he was the previous owner of the house so he kind of 'haunts' it already. He was mysteriously murdered in his own house and the police didn't do anything about it.

"It was my brother, actually," Roman chuckled. "Yes... Thomas... He killed me for some reason. I have no idea what happened to him."

Virgil inhaled too much spit at the same time. "Dude! You mean, like, Thomas Sanders?"

"Yes? What are you implying?"

"I'm pretty sure one of my ancestors was Thomas Sanders. He's dead now, by the way. Not haunting any house."

"That's fine, I guess. I just hoped that he would come visit me. For old time's sake, you know?"

"It's funny that I'm talking to my ancestor's dead brother."

"You aren't the only one. You do have some resemblance of him. He had such beautiful eyes..." Roman sighed, probably thinking back to the day.

Virgil went to respond before a knock resonated from the door. It was probably Logan, trying to get his attention.

"Virgil, your father and I have prepared dinner for you before we leave. I hope you do eat some unlike last time..."

Virgil gave an expatriated sigh. He hadn't been eating much ever since they moved here. His friends, Talyn and Joan, were still at California, probably having the time of their lives while he was stuck at Florida.

Probably the most dangerous area. Not that he cared at all.

-time skip-

As the days grew by, so did Virgil's friendship with Roman grow. They talked as if one wasn't undead and the other one was depressed.

Virgil felt a small connection to the deceased man. It was funny how he felt this uncertain feeling with the man. As long as they were together, he was fine.

This time, they were having a small chat; they were talking about crushes. It was usually discussed by girls but they were gay so... that was the exception.

"What do you do when you want to get together with someone?" Virgil softly asked, staring off to the ceiling. Roman lied down beside the boy, smiling and said, "Well, you know the saying. Communication is key."

"Yeah, but... I'm just too scared. I feel anxiety go through my entire being when I'm in front of that person, yet, I don't want to be far from that certain one."

"Well, if you think that this is your significant other, then go for it. They'd understand. If they reject you, they are an ass," Roman said.

"Watch your language."

"Don't tell me what to do. I'm 356 years old, young man."

"Psh, you look eighteen to me."

"Because I died at eighteen, smartass."

"At least I'm smart, dumbass."

They went their usual bickering again, it seemed like Logan and Patton got used to Virgil talking to himself a lot.

("It's probably his coping mechanism. It's not everyday you move to a different state.")

Still, Patton was worried and knocked on the door. The bickering quiet down and Virgil answered the door, "Sup, Pops. Wha's up?"

"Hey, kiddo. I was wondering if you seem okay? I'm sorry if I'm intruding—"

"No, dad. You're fine; but I'm not in the mood to talk right now. Maybe next time, okay?"

"Okay... I guess. I miss this," Patton's eyes grew misty. The face of nostalgia.

"... Me too, dad. Me too," Virgil moved to hug his dad—the man who raised him since birth, and smiled.

"Love you, dad."

"Love you too, kiddo. Don't go insane on me. I want to have grandkids!"

"Dad! I'm gay!"

"So? That didn't stop me and Logan to ha e you!"

Virgil smiled back and walked back to his room of abyss.

-time skip-

Virgil was beyond pissed. He was wondering through the halls of his house. Sadly, it was the same house where he and they died. They left him some money to survive and he spent it all on this house.

They really knew him, didn't they? He wanted to make them proud. What did he see?

He saw his parents, dead on the ground. It was a car accident right in front of their house. He saw the horrid blood dribble from his parents' face.

He was twenty when that happened.

Now 24, he came back to his home where nothing was touched. Dust gathered here and there, nothing new.

A gust of wind passed by but he knew who that was, it was Roman. The ghost of the dead ancestor's brother.

As if the wind was trying to warn him, it shoved the man down but it was too late. A bullet shot through his heart.

His vision blurred and he knew he was going to finally take his last breath. Before he completely blacked out, he saw the ghost of Roman.

•°•

Had it been years since he last woke up? No, he just died. He must be just sleeping.

Cracking open his eyes for the first time in a while, he saw his whole family. Logan and Patton, glancing over to him with a sad smile.

Roman stood there, face full of emotion and one that was most prominent—love. It may seem weird but hey, at least he felt. The man next to him, presumably Thomas, was smiling.

Roman stood next to Virgil and stuck out his hand.

"Communication is key, yet, look at where it got most of us."

Realization dawned him. Roman died because he tried to reason with his brother. Thomas died because he had to pay the price. Patton and Logan died because they were in a car accident which was because the driver broke up with his girlfriend.

"Welcome to the Undead."

FIN