Chapter 33 - Old friend

A chilling sensation ran up Mikage's arm, 'is this your way of greeting me old friend?' he grinned widely. It was really a pleasant unexpected encounter. The surrounding light ended up condensing and swirled around him, eventually fading into Mikage.

Ryuu watched speechlessly at Miyuki's apparent composed movements, he had no words for what just took place.

Miyuki flipped the katana unsheathing it, before them, both were rust and wear on the blade. It looked so brittle that a swing alone would cause it to break. Further shocking him was the way Miyuki handled the blade as if were a part of his own body; as if he'd done this over a hundred times.

The conclusion Ryuu reached was that he practised Kendo at a younger age.

"Ryuu can you give me space," Mikage asked his eyes full of exhilaration. Ryuu nodded his head and stepped back, he was intrigued at what Miyuki would do next with the blade.

The blade Ryuu cared for so much, he surprisingly didn't disapprove with Miyuki handling it.

If it were anyone else he wouldn't let them anywhere near it. But when Miyuki touched it Ryuu didn't have an issue.

From the side Ryuu observed all of Miyuki's movements, Miyuki was always a fascinating sight to watch. It would be almost a shame to disrupt him.

Mikage grabbed the blade between his thumb and forefinger. He placed it at what seemed to be the point of the almost orange blade.

Mikage closed his eyes and slid his hand that pinched the blade to where the handle was located.

Ryuu was understandably astonished by the sight; that rusted blade could no longer be referred to that any longer. Every place where Miyuki traced his thumb the rust seemed to fall off and replaced with a well-defined, unearthly icy blade.

It sharpness seemed incomparable to any he'd seen before. Merely the thought of touching created a fearful feeling; as if it hacked down numerous lives before.

Suddenly Mikage extended his arm and swung the blade downwards. This movement was normally carried out when flicking the blood off the blade. But Mikage merely swung the rest of the rust off.

This movement flowed so beautifully and fluidly it looked almost looked like art. Ryuu deduced that Mikage was no stranger to blades.

What he just did was proof enough, even a fool could see.

"What was that about?" nothing he could possibly think of can allow him to comprehend all the occurrences which took place and how Mikage seemed to know precisely how to specifically handle such an old valuable Katana he'd never previously come across before.

Whatever Ryuu could conjure up never seemed to fit together.

"Does it appear to be sharp?" Mikage asked strangely. Ryuu felt that was an odd question, as there was no doubt about its sharpness.

Mikage placed his arm out and swiftly placed the blade there and slashed.

This happened so quickly and unexpectedly that Ryuu couldn't even formulate a response. His eyes widened in alarm.

Such a sharp blade there was no way it didn't cut Mikage's skin. Gathering himself he grabbed Mikage's arm in order to examine the extent of the wound. He couldn't fathom why Miyuki would do such a mindless thing.

Until he couldn't find the wound in the place where Mikage inflicted it. Ryuu didn't doubt his eyes, but it didn't make sense. Although it was instant, he clearly saw the force Miyuki used the slice his arm.

But if he did there was no sign of a wound. "This blade has a conscious or you can call it a spirit and it will never harm the wielder it recognises; hence why you don't see a wound" Mikage explained.

Ryuu scrutinized the sword sceptically "you mean to say the blade is alive?"

'Well that's one way of putting it', Mikage smiled" whether or not you choose to believe me, that's up to you" he simply shrugged. It was as simple as that, he never had high expectations in the first place.

Miyuki relayed it so simply and convincingly Ryuu couldn't rebut, as he didn't have doubt about Mikage. Spirits and the supernatural was something Ryuu never even considered, but that wasn't even what weighed mostly on him.

It was where did Miyuki obtain such a profound knowledge to carry out such inexplicable phenomenal events so eloquently.