Chapter 72 - A Persistent Man

In a distant field lay a masked man, the field was a space of endless looking flowers and the air surrounding him was a monochrome of silver - like a thick fog. His robes along with his silvery-white hair spread far, and the patterns on his robes harmonized beautifully with the produce beneath. Everything was so still; it could be taken for a painting.

Another figure appeared from nothing and broke the still illusion, "I've always wondered what that masks true purpose was?", the man spoke, trampling on the flower as he advanced.

"The rumours of your beauty I've heard of. But why a Fox?". He walked closer to the man on the floor until he was directly standing above him.

"Though Inari was a predominant primordial God, 'that' person's clan of Kitsune wasn't so worthy; wouldn't you say it is sacrilegious to wear the very symbol of that clan? Is it your idea of twisted humour?", the man continued with an almost scathing tone in his voice.

Not visibly surprised by the man's sudden appearance or his animosity the masked man remained unmoved. On the contrary, the masked man seemed somehow more comfortable than before.

The masked man spoke, "I heard of both your name and your talents, Azuki. But aren't you a mysterious one? It is like your entire existence suddenly appeared from nothing, like just now". his voice was light and slow like a passing breeze on the ears but his words carried an accusatory weight.

Like he suggested Azuki was mysterious. And like himself Azuki was a fairly new God in comparison to the other older ones, in spite of his fresh junior status and mysterious appearance Azuki made quite a name for himself.

"So, you've heard of someone like me, even though you're so revered?", he sneered, not lingering on the subject in turn.

"You prefer to be looked down upon, Azuki? The only thing worse than a vainglorious God is his ignorance, and if all us Gods were that way...we'd surely be doomed."

The man named Azuki appeared to be a fierce-looking man, with a beautiful yet strong facial structure that never seemed to appear friendly. His presence was oppressive and dark as if telling others not to approach. He had dark bloodlike hair, it was almost always tied back and he'd most commonly wear amour over his robes.

"Is that so you still didn't answer my first question?" Azuki barely acknowledged the man's words and spoke arrogantly.

"Which one?" he purposely taunted, not moved by the Azuki's challenging behaviour.

"Stop playing around and answer" the atmosphere changed and oppressive power begun to slowly leak from the man as he demanded his answer.

An ice-like sword materialised from nothing into the masked man's hand in less than an instant it was directly poking at Azuki's neck.

"Too easy your anger is too obvious. Your flaw lies there," the man tutted disapprovingly, whilst waving his sword from side to side.

"Your hatred Is so profound I could smell it before you even entered my domain, and that smile you usually guard yourself with on the outside is so false I didn't need a second glance to uncover it. Whatever hatred you hold, will devour you so thoroughly not even a hair will be left unconsumed"

Azuki didn't respond but instead stared at him with an overly cautious expression, eventually he pulled back his power. And began to walk away.

Of course, his observations threw Azuki off, he was still young and reckless. If he continued, he wouldn't last as a God.

The sword disappeared from the masked man's hand "I'm not your enemy. Come back again if you want the answer to your question"

******                                                                                                                                                                             ******