Chapter 67 - Where Is He!?

Mikage didn't speak nor move for a while, but he had an alarming sense of calmness the terrifying creature on him. "You won't hurt me, will you" he finally spoke in a very quiet but soothing tone. The barks became even denser and drawn out, "not because you can't, but you don't want to do you?"

Mikage observed the dog's scarred ear and depleted looking fur, he stretched his hand out slowly "your owner is dead now, so you don't have to be in any more pain".

Finally, after receiving strict caution Mikage was allowed to touch her he sat up from under her and softly touched her face. Like it was the work of magic, the dog immediately relaxed on it belly whimpering softly following Mikage hands like it were a drug.

"Aren't you charming" Mikage joked completely taken by the dog's cuteness, he couldn't help but be completely hypnotize by its immersive nature.

Mikage finally took a moment to look over his shoulder following the continuous silence in Yasu's end, and surprisingly the man was completely knocked out. Mikage sighed for the man, whether it was fear or something more on the dog's end, he was completely and utterly passed out.

____

Yasu's eyes began to flutter open with something that of a struggle when they were wide open he saw a face terrifyingly close to his almost making him jump up in horror. His voice, however, did seem to escape him, but the beast of a dog didn't even flinch nor growl to that response, confusing Yasu.

He heard a voice coming from a different room, "you're finally awake, I got some documents I believe are important but you can look through them if you doubt me. Mikage came in handed the documents to him, then casually crouched down beside the beast.

"You was taking care of him, Kuro? such a sweetheart, let me treat you to the finest beef when we get home", he promised as he rubbed her face lovingly. Yasu was taken aback just a minute ago that beast was ready to rip both their throats out now somehow the beast had completely done a 180.

"What happened and how long exactly was I out for", it just couldn't occur to him no matter how long he thought about it, to how this dog turned docile.

"Around less than 20 minutes also, I befriended and renamed this wonderful dog Kuro, after someone very important to me".

That's not what Yasu meant but he realised he wasn't going to get any more than that, it's must've been a soul binding contract, he deduced, that's what usually happens in those Wuxia novels at least. And he couldn't judge Mikage-Aniki by normal standards at this point now.

"Lets go" Mikage shouted ready to board the car with Kuro, Yasu looked back for a brief moment before turning his attention back to the door. Right now it was locked but, so it was before when he was chased out. Then he made sure that without a doubt the dog wouldn't be able to chase him. No viable documents have seemed to be taken, nevertheless, this was a problem.

Yasu heard a bark, taking his mind temporarily off the pressing issue then turned, Mikage who was just standing upright less than a minute ago was now flopping down carelessly onto the dog.

__

"How can you be fine, when you very nearly just passed out" Yasu argued, peering at Mikage-Aniki lying in the backseat.

"I know my body", Mikage dismissed, it was probably due to not getting enough nutrients.

"Even so I can't overlook this, and it's not only you who'll suffer for it"

Mikage suddenly sat upwards, "What do you mean?", his face visibly darkened, "you say this like it's a fact, so tell me what exactly do you mean"

Immediately Yasu regretted his words, if anything he was trying to self preserve and was now paying the consequences for it. Far from anything, he didn't want to be the bearer of bad news, but now due to his big mouth, he had to be the one.

"We all failed to uphold Boss's order to watch you and keep you from harm's way, however, the standards were lacking on our behalf. Therefore we have all been punished for it", himself getting a demotion. All things considering it was true the rest got off lightly compared to Nobu-Aniki.

"... so he punished you for my actions?" he asked in a quiet mumble "what about the rest," he asked his eyes sharp and cold.

Yasu without a doubt had messed up badly and now he couldn't lie, he was really reluctant to be the rift between the couple. However, right now he had no choice but to. He told the boy everything that occurred after he left from the demotions and Kenj's transfer oversees, to worst of all Nobu's punishment.

"Where is he?" Mikage muttered forebodingly as if something were caught in his throat.

"I'm not sure where Nobu-Aniki is right now," Yasu said feeling a cold sweat creep upon his skin.

Mikage furrowed his brows dangerously, "I wasn't talking about Nobu"

The cold sweat turned into increasingly long and fast heart palpitations, Yasu was terrified by the mere suggestion of what he believed Mikage-Aniki meant, how could even answer him?

"I won't repeat myself Yasu, where is Ryuu?" as if responding to Mikage's animosity the dog that was sat next to Mikage let out a long growl, directed towards Yasu.

Sensing the tension and Yasu's reluctance to answer the driver spoke up, "I'll take you to the Boss, Aniki"

Yasu quickly swung his head towards the driver, what exactly was this fool thinking.

Mikage took a long breath inward," You have my thanks", he said relaxing his back onto the car seat. Despite the current lack of tension, Yasu knew this matter was not settled.

Then it had occurred to Yasu, that the man was merely following orders, at this point nobody had the authority to challenge Mikage-Aniki, only the Boss. Yet on many occasions, he personally questioned him many times without any kind of repercussions. It simply wasn't his place yet he had overstepped.