Chapter 75 - Insecurities

Mikage learned that Azuki's death came not long before his own. The detail of his passing he described very obscurely, similar to Takehiro's circumstance. It wasn't something he doubted, as death would undoubtedly cause strain to one's soul. A few forgotten memories and a weakened state were such a result.

So, the conclusion Mikage drew, was that the person he saw as Azuki that time, wasn't truly him.

It seemed like a convenient excuse he personally constructed in order to forgive Azuki. But it was possible. There were elements that pushed him to believe Azuki.

Despite how far-fetched it sounded; the fact was, that it was a possible feat for the Gods to mimic the image of other Gods. However, to perfectly mimic a powerful God you have to be in possession of far more power than the original and have a clear understanding of said, God.

He did suspect that the person responsible was that mysterious figure he saw in his vision. The same one who had absorbed Nishi's soul and possibly hunted the rest of his children.

So that matter alone did, in fact, did breed more questions.

Who exactly was he? What was the intention? If Mikage himself was already doomed to die, then why show him a false Azuki? Was it to brew discord between himself and Azuki? If so, why? Azuki was already dead.

Maybe Azuki did lie and Mikage was being foolish. But no matter how hard he thought about it, nothing would add up.

The hard truth was, although in the past Mikage and Azuki were equal, in terms of power the scales always tipped in Azuki's favour. In the long time they spent together Mikage grew to learn that Azuki outmatched him tremendously in regards to his strength.

So, somebody who has always supported Mikage and who became a front driving force to his inspirations and all his ambitions. What exactly was the gain? To rid of him, whilst having the power to do so? No, to mess with him? The speculation could continue further on.

So, for now Mikage kept his guard high.

******

"Again"

Mikage jumped back to his feet and bounced between stances before setting off kicks continuously and without even a second to breathe.
But one after the other was swatted effortlessly away until Azuki stepped forward and pushed the boy, making Mikage crash to the floor.

"Enough. It's not necessary" Azuki said, his form now completely unguarded. He jogged to Mikage's side and held each hand out, in order to pick Mikage up.

"No. Again" Mikage ordered, his face was drenched and he struggled to come off his knees after refusing Azuki's help.

"Mii, I'm sorry but you've weakened again. You tire more easily, your bruise's last longer, your much slower than yesterday and your punches barely contained any power", though Azuki's tone was soft both his eyes and words were harsh.

"I said again!", Mikage punched the floor, "Why do this? You made me do this, is this your revenge? Is seeing me so weak amusing?"

In the first place, it was Azuki who pushed Mikage to begin training with him. For the purpose of strengthening him, but it all seemed to backfire, as not only did Mikage not become any stronger he actually got weaker.

"Why are you in the habit of saying such terrible things?", regardless of Azuki's current hurt he still pulled Mikage to his feet and held him in a hug. "I am afraid just as much as you, but we'll figure it out together"

Mikage caught himself "I'm not me. We're not us" he quickly lamented unsure how-to continue.

Azuki held Mikage closer, "We've changed its true but the way you talk excites me still when you move it's like watching art. Even when everything has changed, nothing about my feelings has changed. My love extends further than the heavens"