Chapter 74 - Our Children

"I know you're awake"

Mikage sat up in response and didn't bother to make eye contact with the other man. In truth, he didn't even want to acknowledge his existence. However, he'd noticed how different in fact Azuki was, his hair was light brown instead of the deep red tone he had. His eyes were quite light too but that didn't take away the profoundness that remained in them. His face was still very handsome but nothing like the past, it comparatively had softer aspects like the dimples.

Azuki forced a smile and sat beside him sweeping a piece of his hair behind his ear, "You slept for a long time because you pushed yourself"

Mikage remained silent prompting Azuki to continue.

"Stop this game! It was always you and me even after death, we are bound did you forget? It seems that the boss made it easy for you to forget. You remembered me and still fucked that man!" He forced Mikage to look at him.

"Don't pretend you didn't forget me when it was convenient for you. What game exactly? I will fuck whomever so don't concern yourself where you don't belong."

"What are you speaking of? I remember you now. And what I did before was the desperation of my soul pining for you when I couldn't remember. The drug Akira used was pathetic but out of yearning. And whom you fuck does concern me, to the point where it tickles at my sanity."

"And talking to you is like talking to a fucking rock. Why play this game? Was is amusing when you let me die? Did kaguya.....tickle your balls afterwards"

Azuki only seemed to focus on what he saw as the more prompting words from Mikage. "Let you die? I would die first," he swore.

Mikage couldn't help but cackle.

"You know it's not that you left me to die. But I think that's the one time I truly felt scared. I needed to know you would take care of things. Just a word would've been enough...now everybody's dead

"D..dead!". Azuki jumped out up toward Mikage and pulled at his shoulder "What do you mean everyone's dead". Finally, azuki was ruffled his face hardened into a blend of scorching rage and genuine bewilderment.

"Why are you angry?" Mikage glared a menacing look at the hands tightening harshly against his skin. "It's so silly", he continued "You know you abandoned us the moment you walked away from me."

He seemed to instantly understand to Mikage's words and he let go of Mikage's shoulders. Instead, he brought his hand up to his face, tracing him carefully. He wanted to speak but struggled as if there were a lump in his throat and his eyes though they weren't on Mikage they seemed to drop.

"How did you die?" he asked

A current of thunder shot through Mikage's heart, he felt his breathing became more difficult "wha.."

"What did you mean by 'let you die'?" he directed Mikage face in order to meet his own. "My memories are a haze, but I'd know with my whole being, I'd never allow that"

"I...i don't believe you",

Mikage struggled to look Azuki in the eyes for a different reason now. not from the boiling rage that threatened to burn him within. But from an uncomfortable knotting feeling of doubt and guilt. From the hundreds of years, he's known Azuki he's picked up almost everything, about him and vice versa. Azuki was rarely dishonest, his character didn't allow it, when there was something to say there was no reason to hold back. But when he was dishonest Mikage always knew.

So, what he said didn't actually add up to Mikage. If he was telling the truth why did he clearly see him walk away? If he wasn't lying then what exactly did that mean? So distraught by betrayal, in turn, made him grow to despise the true war, God? All those years of love and he had such little trust for his betrothed?

If fact Mikage knew things didn't add up, and Azuki's betrayal didn't make sense. And there wasn't much to gain by his own passing... If it was his position Azuki was after, Azuki himself who was even more so worthy as 'The God of War', but always dismissed it as unimportant to him. So why was he so personally convinced that Azuki wanted it?

Even so the many years of false inflated resentment had anchored deeply in Mikage's heart, it couldn't allow Mikage to feel the same way he'd previously had.

"You do believe me", Azuki faltered as he leaned closer to Mikage, "So why do you refuse to move forward and face me"

Mikage clenched his teeth, fiercely aware that as much as Azuki couldn't hide everything from him, it was also the reverse. "I need to return", he unloaded.

Each of the lights in the room flickered and thunder seemed to roll through Azuki's eyes, "why!" his voice shook the room. "For what reason!" he embedded his hands into Mikage shoulder

Mikage breathed out slowly and caressed Azuki's hand until he softened his hold. "Ryuu didn't have to do anything. With the power he wielded, the temptation present wasn't in control of him. His virtue was far beyond my expectations and as a man...no as a God I owe him. If I'm to say my farewell, the least I can do is say it to his face"

"you've grown weaker, not just physically it seems"

"And a tree can only grow so high until he realises that what is below him, is where he had once stemmed from. And how much of what is beneath, he still requires as much as what he needs from above"

"You're not a tree"

"And who's to prove I'm not. My existence may as well be identical to one. Azuki it happened we were the tree's who almost touched the sun. And what happened when we got close? We got scorched. We died. And everything we strove for, burnt alongside us, not ashes remained.

"I disfavour when you speak like this, but we were reborn for a reason for those who've fallen we can rise once again and slaughter those who harmed our children"

'Children', this was in fact the first time he's referred to those lot as his own or even Mikage's children. It's true they were taught and raised by both himself and Azuki but it didn't occur to him that they were in fact his true family.

Mikage couldn't help his breath shudder, he slanted against Azuki as a tight suffocating choke enveloped his throat.

"We were blessed to have such wonderful overgrown children", Azuki said pulling Mikage into a crushing hug.

"Yes," Mikage agreed. The pain in Azuki's voice was easily distinctive, albeit a very rare occurrence.

"I'm sorry," Azuki said. "I'm so sorry" Azuki repeated. "Our poor children."

Mikage could feel the warm trail of tears sticking to his shoulder. Mikage bit his own lip weakly, "No. I'm sorry" he said holding the man tighter.   

YAAAAY New chappy...GOsh, I am so late. Actually so sorry everyone. So much has happened but just so everyone knows I'm never dropping this story unless...joking. I will complete this story I'm not trying to be haunted by hungry fujoshi's  (>>> ooo scaryyyy)

~ANywayy has Azuki been forgiven??? will old love prevail or....??? It still doesn't add up and not only due to the author's inconsistencies...~~~Tree's are nice~~~

So anyone rooting for old lovee>>> 

Do we trust Azukiii>>>>

AND WHERE'S RYUU<<<<