35

Caroline was back to Mystic Falls and texted Klaus, asking him to go to her place so they could talk.

Caroline was a total mess, she had some leggings, a t-shirt and a messy ponytail, she wanted to be more presentable to Klaus but she couldn't bring herself to get her makeup and pick an outfit, this day has been emotionally draining and she knew it would only get worse with her conversation with Klaus.

Once she heard the doorbell, she opened the door and saw Klaus with a messy hair, a distant look and looking tired and upset.

"Come in..." She whispered with a weak smile and he nodded then got inside of the house.

"Your text seemed urgent. I guess you already made a decision about us... without even asking for my opinion."

"I know very well you would want us to keep pretending dating. And if not that, then you would want us to try to be in a real relationship." Caroline said and Klaus couldn't say she was wrong.

"If you want us to go back to the way things were, when you only came to talk to me to distract me, then it's fine. Just say it and we go back to barely talking with each other." Klaus said upset.

"Seriously?! Do you really think that's what I want?"

"Then tell me, love. What do you want?" Klaus asked, giving her a challenge look.

"It's not about what I want. That would make all of this easier." Caroline said frustrated. "This is about what's best for the two of us."

"Are you saying that you know what's best for me?"

"I surely know it's not the best for you to have someone who keeps using you." Caroline said. "I won't do that anymore. I can't."

"Why now? We've been doing this for months. Why stopping all of that just now?"

"I should have never asked you to do this." Caroline whispered. "But I did and I'm now ending it before it gets worse."

"So now what? We fake a break up and we will stop spending time unless you need another favor?" Klaus asked, feeling hurt with Caroline ending their fake relationship.

"Klaus, do you think this is easy for me? It's not! I had to be away from everyone for almost an entire day to be able to think, to figure out how I feel and try to decide what to do." Caroline said upset with Klaus making it seem that it was only him who was hurting with all of this.

"Care to share your conclusions?" Klaus asked.

"I need to let you go... We can be friends but we can't be more than that."

"Why am I not surprised? You will always see me as nothing more than the big bad wolf." Klaus said, feeling hurt and angry.

"No, you idiot! It's because I care about you. I can't keep you from living your life any longer. You deserve to have a life and find the perfect woman. I'm not that. I have trust issues, I'm jealous, neurotic, annoying, clingy, judgmental, over-thinker, insecure and much more. You deserve someone way better. You deserve someone smart, beautiful, strong, independent, sure of herself, interesting, who traveled the world, who knows how to relax, who doesn't need to google something about what you said about the Middle Ages, who knows about art and can let you be alone without wondering about what you are doing and who you are with. You deserve to be with a woman that I could never measure to be."

"You Google what I talk to you?" Klaus asked, surprised. "That doesn't matter. If I wanted to be around someone who knew everything, I would talk with Siri. I do want a beautiful woman, who's smart, strong, independent and interesting. I already know her, it's you. I want you, Caroline."

"No, you don't. Your idea of me is wrong, it's an illusion I created. I'm not the amazing woman you see me as. I will never be. And if we get together, I'll just let you down. You'll eventually see the real me and you will want to end things."

"You don't know that."

"Yes, I do. It's always how it goes."

"Maybe it will be different now." Klaus whispered. "And the part of you letting me down, I just can't see that happening." Klaus took a step closer to Caroline and whispered. "Don't give up on us without giving a chance to see if it would work out."

"Klaus, please

"Klaus, please... This is not easy. I am hating this. I wish I could give this a chance but I can't..."

"Is Tyler the reason why you won't give us a chance? Is it about what he did or about you still liking him?"

"I'm over Tyler. The reason I'm doing this it's because if I give us a chance, what will happen is that you'll get bored of me, we'll break up and you will find a hot smart woman while I'll be crying and watching the notebook." Caroline said. "I prefer to be your friend than to lose you forever."

"How could I ever get bored of you? How could I ever let you go? Why don't you let me show you we could work?"

"Because when you truly care about someone, you do what's best for them, even if they don't see it and it pains you." Caroline whispered and they were now both tearing up.

"I won't give up on us that fast. But if you want to be friends then that's what we will be." Klaus whispered and they hugged, comforting each other.

"I'm sorry..." Caroline sobbed and Klaus simply hugged her tightly, not wanting to accept they would now be just friends.

" Caroline sobbed and Klaus simply hugged her tightly, not wanting to accept they would now be just friends

AN: Hey guys! I know this chapter was sad but I hope you liked it. Because this chapter was sad and it hurt me writing this Klaroline chapter because they should always be happy, I decided to write next chapter in a more happy way. Stay tuned to see in the next chapter how the Elejah date will go.