77

Rebekah woke up really early, it was barely morning and everyone in the mansion was asleep, but she decided to check on Stefan, who slept in the Mikaelson's mansion, she opened the door of the guest room he was in, making her see something she was not expecting... Stefan awake, surrounded by old books and reading like his life depended on it.

"Hey, Stef..." Rebekah whispered.

"Hey! I thought I was the only one up." Stefan whispered as Rebekah closed the door behind her.

"What are you doing reading all this books at this hour? Have you even slept."

"A little. About half an hour or so."

"That's not sleeping, Stef. What's going on?" Rebekah asked and noticed the old books were all about protection and defense. "Why are you reading these?"

"When we got kidnapped, I felt useless. I was there, witnessing you getting hurt and I couldn't do a thing about it. I can't let that happen again. I need to prepare in case something happens. I can't let you get hurt again. That just can't happen."

"Okay. First of all, I am grown woman and I'm an Original, meaning I can defend myself, thank you very much. Secondly, I will not have you be this overprotective guy who will always be paranoid about something happening to me, I already have Nik to do that. And you know what resulted of all his paranoia? Him taking away my freedom. Thirdly, not you nor anyone can assure my safety, not even me, things happen and doing all that study will only make you go crazy." Rebekah said.

"I know you can take care of yourself but I hated seeing you suffer and not be able to do a thing about it."

"Stefan, you were being tortured too. If you weren't, I'm sure you would be able to help me."

"Would I? I drink from small animals and blood bags because if I drink from the vein, I'll go all Ripper. I am weaker than vampires of my age, if some vampire tries to hurt you and is a little bit younger than me, he has a good chance of killing me before I can get you to safety."

"Stefan, I'm not some damsel in distress. You are not going to start act like I'm like that. My entire life, I had Nik by my side being paranoid and overprotective... it only pushed me away from him. If you try to go all overprotective and paranoid, whatever we might have won't have a chance to last." Rebekah said.

"I'm just so scared of you getting hurt again... For me, the real torture was seeing you suffering and be unable to do a thing about it and when I close my eyes, all I see is you screaming in pain." Stefan said with a weak voice making Rebekah see that Stefan was acting like this just because he feared she would get in danger again in the future.

"I'm okay now. I'm safe and sound. And you say you felt helpless but you did everything you could, you were even okay with staying and keep getting tortured if I would get released. You did all you could." Rebekah said softly.

"Bex..." Stefan whispered and she hugged him.

"I don't mind you trying to get stronger but I do mind you getting paranoid over this." Rebekah whispered, breaking the hug, resting her forehead in his, still with her arms wrapped around his neck while his arms were wrapped around her waist.

"You have no idea how important you are to me, do you?" Stefan whispered, pulling her closer to him.