81

Klaus couldn't fall asleep, all he was able to do was reliving his fight with Caroline over and over again, making him wonder if this would be the beginning of the end.

Klaus went to the kitchen, only to find Elena in Elijah's shirt.

"Sorry, did I awake you?" Elena whispered.

"No. I can't sleep."

"Because of the fight with Caroline?"

"It's none of your business." Klaus said being defensive.

"Klaus... Caroline is capable of forgiving a lot of things, even things I couldn't forgive but she is very protective of her friends. She was just looking out for me." Elena said. "She likes you a lot, more than she wants to admit. She likes who you are and she is actually happy with you. But, no matter how happy she might be with you, she will always choose her friends safety over her happiness. Don't make her choose."

"What if I already did?" Klaus whispered with a vulnerable look, surprising Elena, who never expected seeing him like this.

"Why do you say that?"

"One of the last things she said to me was that she couldn't do this anymore, she couldn't keep fighting and that she was afraid we would say things we didn't felt." Klaus whispered.

"Klaus, she's afraid. She saw you threatening me. She is probably wondering what would happen if we would be alone and there would be no one to defend me. She's probably wondering how far would you go if nobody stopped you. She's probably afraid that you would only think about the consequences after doing things. She is probably afraid that she is dating someone who is a danger to her friends."

"And what am I suppose to do? I'm the big bad wolf. I am known by being reckless and merciless. I'm known by being a cold hearted killer."

"But she doesn't see you like that. She sees you as this amazing guy who had a bad reputation that made people never giving him a chance." Elena said. "If you want an advice... Show her that she wasn't wrong in all those times she defended you, show her that what she saw in you was true and not an illusion... Show her that you can show others compassion and mercy just for her sake. And remind her of who she fall in love for."

"Thank you." Klaus said, turned around to leave but stop and looked again at Elena. "I'm sorry for hurting you and threatening you. I should have better control of my impulses."

"You're welcome and I forgive you." Elena smiled and Klaus nodded then left.

***

Klaus went to Caroline's room, but it was empty, making him notice that the lights were on in the private bathroom she had, he tried to listen but he was only able to hear the water running, so he knock on the door.

"Mom, I'm fine. I am just having a hard time taking out my makeup." Caroline said but he noticed that wasn't her usual perky and happy voice, it was the voice she used when she tried to act like she was fine when she wasn't.

"It's me." Klaus said and for a moment all he could hear was the wafted running but then stopped and the door opened, revealing a tired Caroline with her eyes full of sadness.

"What are you doing here? I told you I was tired. Can't you give me some space and time so I can rest?" Caroline asked upset.

"I just came here to apologize." Klaus said and Caroline was a bit surprised but didn't show it.

"Okay. Is that all?" Caroline said because even if she knew him apologizing was a big deal, she was still upset with the way he acted.

"No. I wanted to thank you for how comprehensive, patient, caring and kind you've been to me. I wanted to apologize for being so reckless and for being sometimes too possessive. I'm sorry for not being the man you deserve. I wake up every day wondering how I got so lucky to have you in my life. I tend to push away people when they get close to me but I don't want to do that to you. I promise I'll try to control myself when things get complicated or I feel something dangerous will happen. I promise I'll try to not be violent to your friends."