xxv. the four sisters

★ ★ ★

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE:

THE FOUR SISTERS

      "If all of these Horcruxes are destroyed then Voldemort can be destroyed?"

      It was early in the day and a few days since Harry came off his liquid luck. She was called into Dumbledore's office after dinner and when she arrived was not alone. Dumbledore, Sirius, James Harry and Remus were all sitting around the office. Her eyes met Harry's briefly before she sat down and was told about the memory Harry retrieved from Slughorn.

      Tom Riddle, former of Voldemort had asked about Slughorn about Horcruxes. Dumbledore had an idea that this was how Voldemort had been alive and the memory confirmed it. Slughorn, as she suspected was no longer under suspicion. That's where the Horcruxes played into the scenario, a dark object that a persons immortal soul was stored into.

Dumbledore nods. "Yes, I think so. Without his Horcruxes, Voldemort will be a mortal man with a maimed and diminished soul. Never forget, though, that while his soul may be damaged beyond repair, his brain and his magical powers remain intact. It will take uncommon skill and power to kill a wizard like Voldemort even without his Horcruxes."

       "So he's been hiding fragments of his soul into magical items to stay alive?" James breathed, shaking his head. He looked closed to tears. "That's how he's still alive after all this time."

     "But I haven't got uncommon skill and power." Harry says referring to Dumbledore's previous comment.

   "Yes, you have," Dumbledore told him firmly. "You have a power that Voldemort has never had. You can—"

      "I know, I can love! Big deal!" Harry cut him off impatiently, and after a moment (incredibly sarcastically) he added, "At the moment, I'm starting to think that's a bad thing."

      His words hung low in the air and naturally all the people in the room sent her the smallest of glances. Harry didn't mean anything by it, and meant it in a humourless way.

      The two of them were friends, again. Like how they'd been back in first year. There wasn't any awkwardness between them thankfully and no of their friends noticed the empty feeling the two of them acquired, or the lack of smiling from the green eyed boy. Harry was respectful of what she wanted.