xxix. runskin

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE:

RUNSKIN

★ ★ ★

When Harry Potter regained consciousness, his first thought was how funny it would have been if Voldemort was not the one to have killed him.

He sat up, looking around, and was left confused when he realised he was not in a Hospital. He remembered what happened before the crash, he remembered feeling something sharp impacting his head and turned to see the car. It all happened so fast and the last thing he remembered was reaching out to Aurora, pulling her back.

As he looked around, he realised he was by the Black Lake.

Except it was a sunny, bright day and there hadn't been one of those in a very long time. He looked around and when he took a step forward, he felt as though he had been floating outside his own body.

Nonetheless, he continued to walk forward. He walked around the edge of the Lake and spotted someone looking out. She had the reddest hair she'd ever seen, and it was as his father described it, neat, straight and as red, like the roses, he'd planted in Godric Hollow. When he walked closer to the woman, she had a gentle kind smile and warm inviting eyes: they were the same colour as his ones.

He was walking towards his mother, Lily Potter.

"Hi, Harry." He thought he might have been dreaming when she spoke directly to him. Her eyes met his and he was instantly hesitant. She extended a hand, "Don't be afraid."

Those words were the comfort he needed to hear. Instantly he ran forward and hugged her tightly. Lily had leaned up and accepted his hug without hesitation, she gently held him for a few moments. She only pulled away when he did.

            "Mum."

"I'm so proud of you, Harry. I want you to remember that every day. You have been so brave through it all. Despite everything that has happened to you, you have never changed." Lily told him softly, hand reaching up to softly fix the glasses on the bridge on his nose. "You've been so brave, my boy."

"I wouldn't call it brave-"

"Don't be so modest. Every year you've been in Hogwarts something life-threatening happens to you."

         Harry laughed. Suddenly realisation dawned upon him. "How am I talking with you, right now? Wait, why am I here?" He looked around, "Where's Aurora?"